•  
Advertise here

Driving to Muscat, Oman..Which Car?

timmyjt

Hey all,

So I'm taking a trip to Muscat, Oman this weekend from Abu Dhabi and was wondering which car to drive. It should be around 700 to 900km the whole trip inclusive of driving around in Muscat. I guess two main points I thought about was comfort and fuel economy. What else?

Should I take the Pajero 3.8 LWB (2008) or the Mercedes S class (2009)?

1) Fuel economy is way better in the Mercedes, so this is a winner for the Merc.

2) Comfort: well the Merc is perhaps more comfortable to drive? or is it more comfy to drive on a raised seating of a 4x4?

And yes, what route is the shortest? I figure since im driving from Abu dhabi, it is shorter via via Al Ain, Hilly border? or is Dubai better ?

Which route is more scenic?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

If you have a S Class then there is no point of thinking about Pajero. In long drives your prime focus is to get the most comfortable vehicle you own. Only thing make sure that Mercedes is well service and free from any issues, as in such long trip you will not find roadside mechanic touching S class who could be more comfortable with Pajero.

Second point of concern is the route, I am not educated on that part very well and can only advise you that you choose the full tarmac road which is more straight than steep uphill on mountains so that Merc drives like a breeze.

• Like (+1) 1

From the proven reliability of Pajero and capability to handle any unexpected rough terrain with reasonable offroad capabilities I will bet on Pajeo than on Mercedes. May be as I am offroad loving guy, so take my advice with pinch of salt.

This issue will be more clear if you share more info like will you driving alone or with couple of other cars...? Going for vacation that involves roaming in Oman or some business trip?

• Like (+1) 2

Hey Timmy,

I think Pajero is more preferable for such routes as there are many offroad spots for a some good photography or on the way stops if you are going with family. You dont have to worry about the fuel part as fuel price is half in Oman ;) 

I have attached the most scenic route as per my drives to Oman. 

If you are travelling alone or as a couple and not interested in offloading or stopping on the way take your Merc or else with family i reckon Pajero is a must. 

Cheers! 

Drive safe. 

Fullscreen capture 8302015 15330 PM.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

All your responses are spot on in various ways ;-)

We are driving alone and got two couples in the car going to visit some family in Muscat and on the way there, we plan to travel at night and stay overnight in Muscat as we have a function to attend Friday morning, so no sightseeing on the way and I would just prefer to get there asap.

On the way back, I can do what i want, which could include some sightseeing, but no offroading as time is limited.

With all due respect to all members opinion here, which is absolutely valid in certain condition I still highly recommend for Mercedes as I have travel once in my friend pajero to Abu dhabi from dubai and we took 3 breaks enroute to stretch and walk.

• Like (+1) 1

So here's what actually happened long story short......I was forced to take a flight instead of driving...had some visa issues for my parents and there was no option...and thats the last time im taking the flight and the whole thing took as much as 6 hrs at least.

Here's what I w'd have chosen if i drove....the MERC, because it way more comfortable and I wasnt planning to do any off roading this time anyway.

The AC on the Pajero kinda works weird, it gets really cold when its 30-35Degrees outside and anything more, it struggles to cool the car. Its been the case since I bought the car, so that was another issue why I wouldnt take the Pajero, but off roading for sure, Pajero was the way to go as I have personally pulled out other SUVs with the Pajero, so it speaks of reliability and strength.

Thanks everyone for your various advices.

Cheers