•  
Advertise here

Enginee overheating

my 2003 LD is overheating and workshop informed gasket damaged, water is mixed in oil, kindly give some details did these things happening and ifso how much cost and am in Liwa did any good workshops are in mussaffah or al ain, please let me inform 050 7427681

Hi Girish,

Sorry to hear about your engine overheating, which is never being a good sign. However if its overheated just once and that too not to full extent, then there is chances that you can save the big expense. Overheating generally caused by many issues and first you need to diagnose what may be the case in your scenario:

1. Engine running dry without coolant or water
    1. Then add the water or coolant and let car comes to lower operating temperature and try again, if it stabilize the temp. You can drive car on straight run, but not in dunes or in stop and go traffic in this peak summer month.
  2. Check the AC fan is working or not, by standing in front of engine and open the hood and ask someone to switch AC on/off couple of times, and you should see one small AUX fan should kick in as soon as AC is switched on. However this fan might not switch off i mmediately as soon as AC is off because this small fan function also include to bring down car temperature to normal in case of excessive heat, which is quiet the case right now in July at 45 degrees.
    1. If Fan is not at all working, then again you can drive your car in highway and free roads (no dunes, no traffic) but without AC, and still reach your prefreed mechanic.
  3. Engine fan is not working: The main engine big (huge) fan in front of radiator has two speeds controlled by viscose clutch, when car is normal then it runs at normal speed which is approx half of your RPM speed as its attached directly to engine pulley. And when car overheat, this fan should run faster exactly your rpm speed. When car overheats, this fan makes HELL OF GUSHING NOISE means this fan is doing its job properly.
    1. Even this fan second gushing speed is not working fine, you can still drive the car on highway, as on highway the wind hits the radiator at high speed do the job. (no dunes, no traffic)
  4. Check for burst hoses or pipes, If above all points are good then check for burst hoses right behind engine and see if you notice any water or coolant leak under the car.
    1. If you spot burst water hose (thicker and black in color) then DO NOT DRIVE AT ALL. Get that hose changed in same place by yourself or call for mechanic. You can actually do it yourself if you have basic tools and little common sense.
  5. Last but not least, if your coolant turned milky color and your engine oil have water traces with sticky and tacky feel and when you start car if emits white smoke and looses power then for sure head gasket has been blown and you need to get your ride on recovery to any garage which you trust and close to your house. As engine changing or rebuilding is long process of 3-5 days and your frequent visits is must. So if you live in Dubai or sharjah, better spend little extra on recovery and get your car back in closer emirates than leaving in Abu Dhabi. If you live in Abu Dhabi, then get your car in musaffah and I am sure you will find some reasonable garage there. I am not familiar with Abu Dhabi, but have heard that mussafah has good economical garages.

Let me know the finding of above points and I will guide you further instantly. Good luck.

hai,

thankyou for your reply, unfortunately the workshop informed me that water trace in oil, gasket to be replaced, head to be required to check, engine rebuild is required, did have any idea about aproximate expense, am in Liwa, 200km faraway from even mussaffah, give to a workshop here normal repairing only japan cars.

I would strictly stay away to get engine open for gasket change in Liwa, not only because of lack of experience of those guys in such job, but also not to trust mechanic in isolated land where he knows you have no options but to listen to his terms.

Like I said before, get your car to near by workshop to your house and get few mechanics opinion before embarking on rebuilding or head gasket change decision. This is serious job.

Have you check the points that I mentioned before, they are pretty easy to check by yourself.

For head gasket only change should be costing around 1000 - 1500 dhs if head is not warped and dont need any facing. If head need facing add another 500 -1000 dhs. If head is warped beyond facing, then you need new head from scrap usually cost about 1500 dhs. In that case better to change the whole engine (THE MOST EASIEST AND LESS COMPLICATED FIX) should cost about 2000 - 2500 Max.

I hope your disco is 4.0 liter, if its 4.6 (rare) then used engine will cost in range of 4000 - 5000 dhs. But still worth the hassle of rebuilding and spending so much time, money and energy. If its heated once, it may overheat again, so best bet is to plonk another low mileage engine and get over with it.