Our community blogs
MotionX GPS Navigation App for iOS users
One of the best GPS Navigation App thoroughly tested in UAE for off-road use
Estimated read time: 5 minutes
After an extensive test based among many GPS Navigation app for iOS and Android smartphones, we finally settled for MotionX being the best GPS navigation app. MotionX GPS offers very intelligent and intuitive way to adapt to the different conditions and offer simple yet powerful GPS navigation app that is totally impressive. We have been testing MotionX for over 3-4 months time now on 20+ different routes and terrains from sand, wadi, mountains and ocean and it simply never failed on anything.
Unlike many other smartphone navigation app, MotionX doesn't heat up the phone or chew extensive battery. It also doesn't break the signal in middle of no coverage area and always continue to record/show the track as expected. The only Android app that comes closer to MotionX is Maverick, but it still has some teething issues and need some more time to mature.
Fullpower released the MotionX-GPS for iPhone users in October 2008 and since then they have been successfully capturing the new technology and enhancing this navigation app capabilities. MotionX-GPS is a handheld GPS Multi-Sport app for runners, hikers, sailors, stand up paddle boarding (SUP), cyclists, geocachers, and other outdoor sport enthusiasts. It leverages the iPhone built-in GPS chip as well as other on-board sensors to provide location data. MotionX-GPS supports map data provided by OpenStreetMap, Google, Bing, Apple and others.
One of our personal favorite feature in MotionX is it's capability to allow you to load Google satellite maps that can show the dunes formation, slip faces, sabkha's, wadi's, easy access points etc. (if you know how to read google maps). Of course this feature requires 3G / 4G connection when venturing in new area, but if you browse area before at home or on 4G then it can comfortably load cached map and allow you to record tracks, timing and waypoints easily. It's really an intelligent way to beat Garmin's Montana - Bird's eye view (paid subscription) in a comfort of your pocket size existing smartphone, no more devices to handle on dashboard while hitting the dunes.
Some of the key and best features:
- See your position and tracks anywhere in the world on fast live MotionX open topographic and road maps.
- Course-up and direction-up maps.
Best map selection from 14 different sources: Google, Bing, Apple Road, Satellite and Hybrid maps.
- Record and save up to 300 tracks.
- See your track in real-time with Track up, North up, or Direction Up, then follow it later if you want to retrace your path.
- Record time, distance, speed and max speed.
Live speed and altitude graphs.
- Save up to 2500 personal waypoints for your favorite locations.
- Use the MotionX TapTap® tool for easy waypoint creation.
Add a geotagged photo to capture the moment!
- Most accurate iPhone GPS App
- Downloading and storing maps for offline access is faster and easier than ever.
- MotionX maps can be cached for offline access and lightning fast rendering!
MotionX Terrain and Road maps and NOAA marine charts can be downloaded for offline use for free.
- Use the compass for orientation in True or Magnetic bearings.
- Visualize your progress and ETA while navigating.
View coordinates in UTM, MGRS, OSGB (UK grid), Lat/Lon format.
- Post your tracks and waypoints to Facebook or Twitter, or email them to share.
- Share your location and see where your friends are in real-time using the Auto Live Updates feature.
How to install
- Go to Apple App Store
- Search for MotionX GPS (from Fullpower)
- Click on Get and install
- Price: 7.29 AED (2 USD)
- Size: 49.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or above
- Over 5 million users, top rated around the world