•  
Advertise here

Brake Drum and Disc

Hey people. I can reading a blog on braking system. It was an interesting topic, but there was one thing I couldnt differentiate. So please help me answering that: What is the difference between brake drum and brake disc? And how do we know which of these is best suited for our car?

Well brake disc and brake drums, they both are located at the same position, i.e., with the wheels.

Brake disc is a disc shaped rotor which can be seen spinning with the wheel when you are driving the car. So when one applies brake, the brake pads are forced to squeeze against the disc that helps in slowing down the motion of the car.

Brake drums on the other hand looks like a drum shaped rotor which is generally found open at the back. When you apply the brakes, the brake shoes which are under the brake drums are pushed and they are rubbed against the drum from inside.

This is the main difference between brake disc and brake drums. The disc brakes are widely used in the cars because they are more effective than drum brakes. When the drives applies short brakes regularly, the brake shoes (used in drum brakes) generally tend to fade and results in braking failing very easily and quickly. Disc brakes on the other hand work effective in all types of weather as it is controlled by the calipers which push the brake pads against the disc brakes.

You know the interesting fact? Many cars uses the disc brakes in front wheels and drum brakes in rear wheel. This is because when somebody applies brakes in the car, the weight of the car is pushed forward because of friction. So the brake pressure on the rear wheels is lesser than front wheel. So if one cannot afford to have disc brakes in all the four wheels, such cars are generally designed in this manner. Although, 4X4 segment cars uses disc brakes in all the four wheels as the weight of 4X4 cars is generally heavier than other segments. And sometimes it’s really difficult to handle the drum brakes in 4X4 segment car especially when you are driving in rain.