•  
Advertise here

Why do people say Peugeot are not great cars?

While I was still deciding which car I'm gonna get for myself, some of the people I trust with their opinions on cars have said that they wouldn't recommend the Peugeot. Why is that? Are they not reliable? My first car was a Peugeot 206, and I loved it! It was a very good car! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well  this is how it works: In countries where the replacement part for Peugeot and all kind of France cars are way hard to find, they become not so great car, as owners can't fix the usual maintenance issues.

However Peugeot is moderately popular here in Dubai so you can go ahead and buy yourself one otherwise if you need to order the part from different country to replace its a bad investment. Sticking to newer models that comes with dealer warranty is a better idea in that case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Peugeot produced some fantastic cars in the late 80's and 90's, the 205 1.9 GTi, 405 Mi16, 306 GTi-6 etc. They acquired a bad reputation circa 2001-2006 due to poorly made cars and electrical problems. Now, they're back on their game again and producing quality cars but the problem is reputations stick and not as many people are willing to give them a chance. It's a bit like Volkswagen/Audi where it's the complete opposite. People think they're good cars because they were good in the 80's and had massive rallying success with the S1 and S2 Quattro but these days, it's a different story, they're overpriced and unreliable.

• 2 weeks later...

".... they're overpriced and unreliable."

As are most cars today...

• 1 year later...
On 2016-4-10 at 11:02 AM, Barry said:

Peugeot produced some fantastic cars in the late 80's and 90's, the 205 1.9 GTi, 405 Mi16, 306 GTi-6 etc. They acquired a bad reputation circa 2001-2006 due to poorly made cars and electrical problems. Now, they're back on their game again and producing quality cars but the problem is reputations stick and not as many people are willing to give them a chance. It's a bit like Volkswagen/Audi where it's the complete opposite. People think they're good cars because they were good in the 80's and had massive rallying success with the S1 and S2 Quattro but these days, it's a different story, they're overpriced and unreliable.

@Barry I want to buy 206 R/C COUPE can you advice 2009 model.

The 206 CC you mean? The convertible? Very popular car in my country and I have a lot of experience with them. Generally, they're good cars if you buy a good one but like anything, there are a lot of dogs out there. The weak points are,

Radius arm bearings in the rear axle. When they fail, the back end can wander. Look at back arches for signs of the tyres rubbing on the inside. Easily repairable if caught in time. Between me and @shadow79 we can repair them, I've done maybe 20-30.

COMMS2000 unit. This is the unit that houses the indicator and wiper stalks. It also houses the airbag and horn clock spring wires and these can break over time. Telltale sign is the airbag light coming on when you are going round corners or parking. Easily replaced if you know what you're doing. £60 for a second hand unit at home so I guess around 300 dhs here.

Roof stops working. 9 times out of 10, it's the control relay in the back or a fuse. Not an expensive fix.

Theyre not bad cars but make sure it has been serviced according to schedule. Timing belt, oil and filter, and if it's automatic most importantly the transmission oil. The autos will only run on clean oil and you generally only get one chance with them. When it's cooked, it's cooked and they need a rebuild.

I was dubious that you said it was 2009 model so I checked. Apparently they built them up to 2016 in GCC. We stopped building and selling them in 2006. Every day is a school day.

Barry in whole of sharjah there are only 3 used shops and they basically run a monopoly and these car parts are very expensive if compared to Camry or corolla there was a shop nearby which had 1 sitting and I was called in for diagnosis when scanned it was throwing like grandmother of codes and I told him you have a ground problem or a module fail it needs further checking and he was like OK I will sort it out myself well few days later I heard the car caught fire...:-D

• Like (+1) 1

I have a lot of good contacts in U.K. and France. Cheap parts are available in the time it takes the scrapyard to remove them. The real question is is the customer prepared to wait for them to come to UAE?