•  
Advertise here

Best offroad vehicle for Dubai desert

What's the best 4x4 vehicle for Dubai sand dunes for dune bashing?

Of course I don't mean million dollar Mercedes 6x6 league, but more within a reasonable budget that I can use regularly every week without the fear of breaking bumpers and electric failures. I prefer within 50k AED budget and I am open for old or very old vehicles as far as they are capable and reliable without too much or too expensive maintenance.

Must Read: Best off road 4x4 cars under 10K and 20K dhs in UAE

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am not sure its true but I am telling as per the things I have seen in Dubai offroad.

Plenty of Jeeps esp wrangler, then Land cruiser and Nissan Patrol, then FJ cruiser.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry everybody Defender and Pajero in Sand dunes is not so good in my opinion, as I see these off road rides on weekly basis. My lsit of peopulat offroad cars in dubai and sharjah are below in order of populariti:

1. Jeep wrnagler
  2. Nissan Patrol
  3. FJ Cruiser
  4. Land Cruiser
  5. Xtera
  6. Prado
  7. Ford F-150 (Raptor)
  8. Fortuner
  9. Tahoe
  10. Tundra
  • Like (+1) 3

Thanks guys for contributing and making me confuse even more. Special thanks to Taqir, to list rides in order of their capability.

What happen to below more capable models or you forgot them....?

1. Land Rover Discovery
  2. Land Rover LR4 and LR3
  3. Range Rover
  4. Lexus LX 570
  5. GMC Yukon Denali
  6. Hummer H2
  7. Chevrolet Trailblazer
  8. Ford Explorer
  9. Mercedes G55 or G500
  10. Nissan pathfinder

Mark I did not forgot above models, as most of them not capabel at all and other are too expensive to enter sand dune in dubai and break them and thtis why peple here dont take those cars offroad.

• Like (+1) 1

I will vote for first 5 options only for real offroad capability car for dubai and UAE desert. Though I have changed the order as per my thinking and experience.

1. Jeep wrangler
  2. FJ Cruiser
  3. Xterra
  4. Nissan Patrol
  5. Land Cruiser
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I have owned the following three 4x4's .

Jeep Wrangler  2013( Very capable offroad, but week engine, couldn't climb to the top of extremely tall dunes, whereas a Land Crusier, or previous version of Nissan Patrol could do it easily.)

Nissan Pathfinder 2008, (Good Power, but capability is average, would hit the bottom due to low ground clearance, and 4x4 system is not that good.)

Ford Expedition 1998, ( Week engine, Good ground clearance in pre-2001 models, extremely capable 4x4 transmission and good low end torque, but cannot make up to heavy dunes due to engine power and huge size.)

I have heard good reviews about FJ, infact all Toyota 4x4's and Xterra. 

Off-roading is all about skills , you can manage with an average 4x4's, if you know the basics right. I have seen locals doing great with little Suzuki Jimmnys and RAV 4s.

Your budget for 50K can fetch you pre 2009 models only, so it comes down to personal choice. If you know how to drive a manual may be you will get more options. But remember in such old vehicles chassis and transmission may have already taken lot of beating, better search for good condition one.

• Like (+1) 2

• Gaurav featured this topic