•  
Advertise here

Is dealer service advisable after warranty is over?

What are the general thoughts on getting car service from a dealer after the warranty is over and car is at 106,000 Kms?

Like to know why should I spend double the money and wait longer, when I can get same day service from outside workshop in Al Quoz area. Any down side of those outside workshop...? Thanks in advance.

Well after warranty, I don't see a point to get dealer service unless there is some major faulty or long standing breakdown history and you need specialize support to make sure car keep running fine. If Car is doing good and have absolutely no issues then any workshop is fine to carry out schedule maintenance service. Just follow the schedule maintenance items and you will be good.

I think otherwise guys, as no matter how expensive and time consuming dealer service is but at the end of the day they are the only one people who knows your car fully in and out as their technicians have been trained for same and have been doing these 100's of service daily. So education, training and experience is worth saving money/time. I highly advise to get dealer service only even after the warranty for having complete peace of mind with confidence.

There are ocassions that I have been mislead by outside workshop and I eventually spend more what I could have spend with dealer. So my high regard goes to the Al futtaim (dealer) as oppose to outside guys.

There are too many if's and but to the complete answer than simple yes and no.

• If your car is German or European brand, better stick to dealer than outside. In Japanese, Korean and American cars they are very simple and it's ok to get service outside after the warranty.
  • If you like to get more resale value then go with dealer to show the full service history record. This def pays 5-10% extra while selling.
  • If your car is specialize/modified sports car then stick to specialized garage and not the dealers, they will do more bad than any good. Performance garage have more experience in such cars.
  • If your dealer is reasonably priced, then yes. As many expensive brand dealer (not al futtaim) is highly overpriced here (too many to name).
  • If you don't know much about cars and don't want to know (ignorant or busy folks), then stick to dealers.
  • Like (+1) 2

In some brands, dealers are worst as they just check the checklist and don't carry out the work. I bought used Pajero few years back with full service history and then when it started misbehaving (rough rpm) I got the car engine opened at my friends garage to check basic stuff. His chief mechanic having 15 years of experience suspected the spark plug as a first doubt and to my surprise spark plug was JET BLACK and died already few months back. I showed him the service history and we all seen check mark over replace spark plug 2 months back.....! that means spark plug was not changed in that service, because for changing spark plug mechanic need to open engine top for at least 2 hours and then swim inside the engine bay (weird design).

So don't blindly trust anyone in today's market. Nobody is perfect.

• Like (+1) 1