•  
Advertise here

Accelerate with a bit of jerk

Ramadan Kareem to all of you. Off-lately my wife accord started showing some jerk when accelerating from zero. If car is moving and I push hard for more acceleration then there is no issue. Car has been regularly serviced outside agency as it has 120,000 + kms on the clock. Check the records and found out that the gear oil has been changed 6 months back at major service at 105,000 kms with dynatrade in Ras Al Khor. Due to ramadan tight schedule it's tough to step out of office and do the diagnostic so better ask here as a first step and see if someone can point in right direction. Thanks in advance guys. 

Can you check in records if dynatrade changed the gear oil and filter as well, coz changing oil alone without filter might have these jerk in lower gears shifts.

You may check the engine mounting as at that kms in some case engine mount fails due to frequent quick acceleration. Worth getting it checked, as if engine mount fails then jerk is only there in 1 gear from 0km and once car is moving gear shift is smooth.

Can you check if jerk is there when you move from P (Parking Gear) to D (Drive Gear and R (Reverse Gear) while holding the brake. It's confirmed engine mounting issue.

If jerk is only there when car star to move forward from zero then it could be gear or something else.

If jerk is prominent when car shift gear from 1-2 and upward then for sure gear clutch need replacement or gear need a rebuilding.

I had gear rebuilding issue last summer and got it fixed in sharjah for reasonable amount with american spare parts.

• Like (+1) 1

All above advises are very good and useful. My only two cents is whatever you need to do it, do it soon as in gearbox issue if you leave small jerk now then in next few months you have to change the whole gear. Stitch in time, saves nine.

One question.. 

Even with the jerk, is it accelerating? Or it is slow in acceleration and delays in gear shifts? 

You might want to check the blockage in catalytic converter, as it is a growing concern in the region now.. (applicable to all cars)

I had a catalytic converter blockage in my Accord 2009. First I doubted it was the transmission oil, but then, eventually found out that, catalytic converter was blocked. Got it cleaned from the agency @ approx 700 AED. Replacement of the entire unit with labor charges would cost AED 3200 at the agency. 

• Like (+1) 1