•  
Advertise here

Range Rover suspension failure

mark

@arowana I had my range roughly for 3 years and after spending close to 20k AED in fixing the dying suspension, I took the advise of switching to springs that costed me less than 2-3K AED and I never look back at those unexpected beeps in the middle of a road.

The point is Range Rover is made with love and that's why we love them back, but after a certain age some area of British engineering does not cooperate very well in this part of the world. So my advice to anyone having Range that is more than 5-7 years of age, on the first balloon or compressor failure: Switch to springs. PERIOD.

Your EAS tool as it says that it throws the false beep on bumps, I never experienced it. Every beep that I had, costed me tons of money on chain reaction (Im serious), so I really don't know how much value this 120 bucks tool can add.

Having said all above: I still miss my Range Rover, even though I had ML500 and Cayenne after that, but nothing replaces Range luxury and all-around superior viewing angle.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi Mark,

AES suspension failure is a known and very common problem on some Land Rovers, and especially vehicles with the following VIN numbers:

Discovery 3/LR3 - 5A000360 to 9A513325

Discovery 4/LR4 - AA513326 to CA638964

Range Rover Sport - 5A900302 to 9A215622

Replacing the balloons does not work, since the problem involves the Hitachi cmpressor that is known to fail prematurely because of wear to the piston and seals. An additional problem involves the filters on the compressor that clog up, or become saturated with moisture, which causes the compressor to either rust, or be starved of an adequate air flow. 

Bear in mind that the control system is calibrated to not register fault codes only if the suspension system can be pressurised in a predefined time. If it takes too long because the compressor cannot deliver enough air fast enough, the system will automatically release all the air in the system, and trigger limp mode and the warning light.

It is possible to replace the compressor with another brand, but all changes to the compressor must be accompanied by software updates to the AES system to recoqnise the new compressor, or thesystem will not work at all. 

The updates will depend on the specific replacement compressor, so make sure that the vendor or repair shop has the software for the specific compressor you buy, or that the shop is able to update the system.  Many aftermarket parts suppliers have developed software for their replacement compressors, so shop around in your area for a compressor to replace the Hitachi unit.