•  
Advertise here

Is car-pooling is legal in Dubai....?

kris

This subject always surprise me to the great extent, as every now and then in news I read that someone got fined for carpooling and someone's car got confiscated for giving ride to a colleague who work with him and so on.......!

Today morning in Gulf News I found below news and I was shocked that how come RTA is doing something that Dubai Police is fining for....? What's the connection and can someone please help me understand this better, as I have three of my office colleague within 1 kms radius and I love to consider car pooling if it's legal here in Dubai. Thanks.

RTA’s new Sharekni app makes car-pooling easier

Service aims to address issue of traffic congestion by reducing the number of single occupancy vehicles on the road

You are right man, this seems they are helping people to use car pool and looks like they doing it through app (only) to have better control over drivers in terms of mobile usage. They may be tracking drivers through their mobile devices, just a thought....(sci-fi thought).

Give app a try and see what it ask you to share your ride, gulf news news is quite credible. Give it a go if you have people to share ride around you. I wish I could....!

From the news what it looks is legal, provided you register driver and cars with RTA app of Sharekni. This is how I read it and I agree Kris inital comment that we have been hearing a lot in news about fining improper car lifts, car pooling in past. I think this is the answer for those issues of past from RTA to make this alliance secure and safe for all.

Guys, car-pooling is only legal thru RTA app and by registering driver, car, route, passenger and every single detail they need. There is no restriction whether you can car-pool with colleague only and not with neighbor.

All this complexity created by RTA is for safety and secondly to protect Dubai Taxi revenue as to avoid everyone doing the car-lift like before and filling 4 passenger in car in each direction and make their daily living (side business). Now that job is officially assigned to Dubai taxi with a rate of 5 times expensive fare that get increase almost every year.

I really don't care about car-pooling and my idea is I will never share my ride with anyone other than friends or family. Not even colleague as it's too personal choice and doing same with strangers is COMPLETE NO. I think what RTA has done to restrict such activity is good in a way for safety and privacy.