•  
Advertise here

Fuel smell inside the cabin

Sometimes, as it's not all the times I get some fuel smell inside the cabin of my 2008 model Volkswagen Touareg. Car has done about 120k kms and always serviced on time and never abused or hard hitting  on gas. This smell is not the one that we get while refueling as it comes the day after majorly.

Hi

VW Touareg have a fuel ventilation that release the gas pressure from the tank and parking the car on the sun or non shaded parking would warm up fuel and venting the gas!

the issue that the nearest points for gas to come inside is under the rear seat where is the fuel pump installed and the refiling cap at the luggage compartment so check smell at both locations before moving or starting the AC or opening windows and advice your service adviser with your complaint and you research for the gas smell to save time.

maybe during replacing fuel pump they didn't put the gaskets properly or maybe the refiling pipe cracked and requires replacement.

Please note that you just have a gas vapor leak so be careful about it.       

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Saleem, for the kind advice. I have already reported to service adviser and they didn't find anything wrong. This smell comes only sometimes and not always, so it's difficult to attack and fix. And yes I park in sun and now since few days I leave little windows open to reduce the glasshouse effect heat building inside the car cabin. My doubt is same as your and that's why now on every refueling I get filled only three quarter and not full tank as may be during the heat fuel expands and vapor get leaks from any rubber seal. I only have an option to wait to let this smell increase so that service adviser can experience it and offer a fix for this problem. 

As a precaution you can just get the gasket changed of the fuel pump topside that is placed under the driver seat, at least that will eliminate about 75% of the doubt. If VW service adviser is not willing go outside as you don't have to prove to anybody for paying for own repair and securing your own life.

• Like (+1) 1

I can confirm what Taqir says - it's the case with 95% of all vehicles on this platform, the Q7, the Touareg and the Cayenne.

Never ask for a full tank at the gas station. They'll overflow it filling to the cap, and that's never good with the tank venting, etc.