Jump to content
Gaurav

Ford Mustang battery terminal buildup

Recommended Posts

I got my 2012 model Ford Mustang serviced from Al Tayer 2 months back in warranty and after the service is completed, my service adviser advised that the battery might be dying shortly as he has seen some greenish color buildup (may be called corrosion) on the black side battery terminal.

Last month my car battery died and that service adviser prophecy came true. Got the new battery changed with slightly more amp as I couldn't get the same amp battery. Today under my office while helping another Mustang to jump start his car I have seen same greenish buildup on the black terminal again. Im curious to understand why this is happening with 1 month old battery or may be something else is wrong with my car electrical system. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_4109.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might get caused by electric leak in the car system and any good electrician can trace the leak or faulty electrical component in the car that might need new wiring or change the faulty circuit. Too bad if this has happen in 2012 model, as such leak develop much after 5-10 years age when wiring get brittle and worn-out. If car is still in warranty considering 3 years of age, worth showing this to dealer and ask them to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Guys, that's quiet a handful info you gave. Let me check with service adviser and come back if Ford still honor the warranty as my car has just finished the warranty last month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is guy who changed the battery applied the generous grease after installing it and covered it with usual red plastic flap.....?

If he hasn't then moisture from engine bay create this buildup very fast. That's why you need to cover your battery terminal always as tight as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guarav,

The formation of the powdery substance, which is either lead sulphate, or hydrated copper sulphate, is caused mainly by direct contact with the sulphuric acid component of electrolyte, or contact with the sulphurous gas that vents as the battery charges.

In cases of direct contact with electrolyte, the seal around the lead post is most likely leaking, which is often the result of over tightening of the terminal clamp that opens up small leak paths through which electrolyte escapes.

However, going by the picture in you post, I would rather blame the close proximity of the battery vent to the terminal. The yellow plastic part visible in the image is the vent hole, and being this close to the terminal, the venting gas is guaranteed to come into contact with the terminal. Copper, or copper alloy does not react with sulphuric acid in the absence of electricity, but here, there is a constant flow of current, hence the build-up.

The remedy in this case would be to attach a length of plastic tubing to the battery vent to divert the sulphuric gas away from the battery, but remember that explosive hydrogen is also released during the charging process, so be sure to divert the gas to a point far away from possible sources of ignition. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use