•  
Advertise here

Derick

I have been watching the activities here from some time and thought of making my first post today with the car owners and car experts here in dubai who drives new and old used cars in dubai. I have never driven a used car before here in dubai or in my home country, but after seeing the huge difference in first 3 years depreciation which shakes almost 40-50% in some brands im really tempted this time. Do you guys mind sharing some of my most curious questions on used cars in dubai....?

1. In general, how many of you car owners have the used cars in dubai?
  2. How many years old that car was when you bought it?
  3. For approx how many years you keep the used cars? 
  4. how do you make out which used car in uae is a good buy or a lemon?
  5. How do you find out justified price of any used car?
  6. how to find out genuinely used cars for sale in uae and not from fake dealers?

Hi Derick, welcome abroad and yes buying used car is really an art and not for the weak heart as it always require bit of chance and play of luck to go in favor. I have been blessed all the time, but I know few friends whose deal has turn sour even after rigorous checks and guarantees.

Don't buy too old used car and keep within 3-5 years old used bracket and you will be fairly safe. Second rule is aim to get lowest driven car uner 60-100 k kms max, even if you have to pay 5% extra for lower mileage then its worth the deal.

• Like (+1) 2

Hi Derick,

Let me share with you my personal experience in used cars.

1. I have owned 2 new cars and more than 10 used cars 

2. I agree with Ethan who mentioned earlier (3-5 years) because the price of the car drops more than 30% and it is still considered new (usually 1 shape older than the newest one) 

3. I don't renew a car ( 1 year or less) so that I don't lose much in the depreciation besides that I love to change cars

4. Honestly, I have never thought like this; any car I feel like I want to own and it is within the budget, I am buying it regardless the resale hassle ( I prefer getting a car to enjoy the ride, rather buying a car that I don't like to sell it easily) 
Whether the used car is in UAE or elsewhere it always  needs the following criteria to obtain a sweet ride : 1) a little bit of luck + 2) an average experience in cars (mechanically) in order to determine abnormal sounds in the engine, suspension, dent or delays in the gearbox  + 3) checking the exact model reviews online which will be a main factor to chose your future car ( some cars have serious major problem from day 1) +  4) patience to get a clean neat car + 5) try to stay away from dealers or third parties trying to sell you a car 

5. You can get a price guideline from Dubizzle + or - , putting in mind that there are 4 types of people listing their cars
First type: normal people selling their personal car (recommended)
Second type:  well known dealers i.e (al nabooda, gargash,...)
Third type: unknown dealers (mainly in Al Aweer) ‎
Fourth type: dealers listing unavailable cars with a very low price to drop the market for a specific period to buy from the first type (personal) with a cheap price and resell it in their showroom

6. Recommended to get a private sellers car and get a test drive; if you feel it's clean, then it's time to take it for a full check up (best place in the agency) 
Again stay away from dealers because they refurbish the car and polish it, so all the visible parts will give you the feeling and the impression  like it's a brand new car, however it might be your nightmare that will never let you go again for this experience.
Good Luck and I hope I've covered everything you wanted to know.

• Like (+1) 4

Milo has done a good job in posting almost every possible scenario and his experience, really like reading these type of opinionated thread so that I learn something new: That in dubizzle unknown dealers are putting cars at low price to break the car market price....! WOW and Super Crap....!

1. In general, how many of you car owners have the used cars in dubai?
    1. All the time used car, never bought a new yet and dont plan to.
  2. How many years old that car was when you bought it?
    1. Average 5 years, but I buy older than 10 years also if its clean and gonna be my second car that will be used less for shcool run or weekend drives only.
  3. For approx how many years you keep the used cars? 
    1. I keep for average 3 years and then switch to another brand to taste more cars
  4. how do you make out which used car in uae is a good buy or a lemon?
    1. Service history, service history and service history. Everything else is a gray area (usually lies).
  5. How do you find out justified price of any used car?
    1. Search 5-6 similar cars from different online advertisement sites and you will get the average price.
  6. how to find out genuinely used cars for sale in uae and not from fake dealers?
    1. You will feel the love of car or the attitude, as dealers will talk only business language and personal deals will always have their personal story or condition to tell: Like carry strollers in trunk, having sunglasses in glove box, keep air freshener on the AC duct, having tissue box at passenger seat etc. you will have some sign of personal use in the real owner car deals.
  • Like (+1) 2

Ethan, Milo and Matt covered it all.

Just to add:

Whatever the age and condition of the car you are eyeing for, always look for the service history / repair records.   A car that is under 5 years should have a complete history and no compromise in that. Cars that are older  (say 10 years) may not have the complete history but must have at least the last 3-4 years repair / service history with it.  It will give you an idea of how the car is being maintained and the possible repairs you will face.

I'd rather pay extra to a similar car with an updated service/repair history.

• 5 months later...