•  
Advertise here

Acura Restores The Ludacris Legend watch out !!

rubel

Does anyone know here garage who loves to transform older much-loved beauties to new avatars. Im not seeking cheap-asshole-fake-businesses who claim they can do everything and make a bill of 10k for a regular cleaning of 50 AED.

I have an old car like in this video who I really like to restore at my own pace with someone knowledgeable and trustworthy.

If it is paint that u want to restore, then we can talk. I am not a business but a car enthusiast. I will attach a pic of one of my cars on which I performed paint correction and you can judge for yourself if this is the type of work you are looking for.

DSC_0918.JPG

DSC_0931.JPG

DSC_0947-1.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

If it is paint that u want to restore, then we can talk. I am not a business but a car enthusiast. I will attach a pic of one of my cars on which I performed paint correction and you can judge for yourself if this is the type of work you are looking for.

I am very interested in getting one of my old ride paint correction, if needed bit of re-spray of same color. Can you share some details as how expensive and time consuming this process is for 2 door Mitsubishi Pajero.

9 Mitsubishi Pajero.jpg

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are planning to do paint correction yourself then you have to invest a lot of time in learning how this whole process works. I don't know what level of experience you have in this field but paint correction, when done by a professional, can take anywhere between 6-12 hours for your car depending upon the condition of the paint and also upon the type of result you are looking for.

The process involves you using a buffing machine (rotary or orbital etc) and using some chemicals in order to 'skim' some of the clear coat around the scratches in order to level it with the paint around it. A Makita buffer costs like AED900 and an orbital buffer like the FLEX VRG3401 costs AED1500. Chemicals, such as the compound, polish and finishing polish can cost around AED1000 or less if you are lucky to find them in small 250ml bottles. But there is a lot of science (and marketing) behind the chemicals as each of them is different in the amount of 'cut' it provides and the type of finish it leaves on the paint. Additionally, you have to be mindful and knowledgeable about the type of paint that you are working on because some paints, like most Japanese cars, is soft so you have to do a test spot and test which chemical works best. 'Least aggressive' is the approach that you have to use in order to do a test spot. Man, there is so much more on this that I can go on and on :)

But I will leave you with a good resource to do all your reading etc .... autogeek.net ... that is where I learned how to correct paint and then I tried it out on my cars.

Let me know if you need additional pointers ...

Thanks Mankool, for lovely explanation and very educating write up. I would love to do these stuff myself for feeling and pampering my much loved car, but I am not an expert nor have enough time or tools to do such extensive procedure.

Like Kadar (above) I also experience the fake-business who says they will do detailing and polishing and kept the car for few days and gave me the car after detail "cleaning" ONLY. May be there and mine definition does not match.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable on paint restoration, I know you are a car enthusiast and not a car business, but do you take other cars for paint restoration and correction as well.....? I am happy to arrange all the shopping list and be with you to assist you while you work. If you accept other cars, please PM me with more details. Thanks.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.