•  
Advertise here

Interior light not working

I recently got used Hyundai Sonata, car is very clean and just after the sale and transfer I realize that car interior light is not working. It seems like a big disappointment in the night when I reach home and can't check my car properly. Is there any hidden switch in sonata or something that I am missing? Please help.

Hi Joyce,

Sonatas have a known problem with interior lighting, but you don't mention your specific model. Earlier Sonatas have a setting on the map lights that says either "Map", or "Door". If your car has this setting, set it to "Door", and check the lights again.

If this does not work, check fuse #20 under the dashboard. This fuse controls some of the interior lighting, and more often than not, this fuse is blown. You can also check fuse #19, which controls other interior lighting, the radio, the clock, and some other items.

If the fuses are fine, there is a break in the wiring between the fuse and the dome light, or between the main fuse that supplies power to the fuse under the dashboard (#20). The door switches that trigger the dome light are not known to go bad, and in most cases, the fault is related to bad wiring that causes fuses to blow.  Sometimes these wiring problems can cause bulbs to burn out very quickly as well, so check the bulb to see if it is OK.

Replacing the bulb does however not solve the problem, and  there are unfortunately no reliable work-around solutions.  There is also no easy way to check these circuits/wiring yourself, since you have to remove trim panels, the roof liner and other items, so I suggest you leave this to a competent mechanic.