•  
Advertise here

Toyota FJ cruiser 2007 shudders at 35 to 45 Kmph speed

Hi Friends, 

Proudly I hav a Toyota 2009 FJ which had run has 98000 Km. I recently reported a problem, I am noticing a vibration when I am going about 35-45 km of speed, I ask some of friend who have FJ, they said that I might need new transmission. At the same I spoke to one of known garage guy about the problem he said that this type of car does not need a transmission services, the transmission fluid that set up is expected to last through out the life. 

Everyone said it's nothing but I always noticed something was wrong, came upon this site just to get to know if someone has the solution or experiencing a same issue. 

The car shudders around 35 kmph and worries me that it will go completely out. Now I don't know what to do. I really Love the FJ and don't wish to get rid of it. 

Any advice or suggestion? 

Hi AIAN,

If the vibration only happens between 35-45 km/h, the problem is either related to the driveshaft that is out of balance, or the rear wheels that are out of balance. If the front wheels were out of balance, you would feel the vibration on the steering wheel.

However, if the driveshaft itself is damaged, the vibration usually happens all the time, no matter the speed you are driving at. In this case, the problem is more likely to be damaged, worn, or broken  joints in the drive shaft.

In fact, this is  known issue in FJ Cruisers, and Toyota has issued several technical service bulletins about it. If the driveshaft checks out OK, it is amost certain that the problem is caused by a defective torque converter. This is the most common cause of the vibration at low speed, and the only way to fix it is to have the torque converter replaced. You don't need to replace the entire transmission to replace the torque converter, so don't let the mechanic talk you into replacing the transmission.

Another problem is the "lifetime" transmission fluid. There is no such thing, and at your mileage, you are already overdue for a fluid replacement. The problem is that many Toyota mechanics don't know how to do it, so you need to look for an independent workshop to do it for you.

You may have to have to get the transmission flushed, but be aware that some types of flushing equipment use high pressure to work. This type of equipment can force solid particles in the fluid into the valve body, which can cause permanent damage to the transmission.

Find a workshop that uses the transmission's own pump to flush out the old fluid, because this way there is a smaller chance of damaging the transmission.

When Toyota speaks of a "lifetime" fill, they are talking about the life of the transmission, not yours. If you cannot replace the fluid, it means you cannot get rid of the wear particles in the transmission, which if you leave it long enough, will eventually clog the filter, starving the pump of fluid, which will definitely ruin the transmission.

Besides, the fluid gets dirty, and the additives break down after a few years, which means that at some point, the transmission will no longer be getting the lubrication it needs to work properly.

However, when you do replace the transmission fluid, use ONLY the correct fluid and filter, and only get it  from the dealers. Anything else is likely to damage the transmission because it may not be specifically formulated for Toyota transmissions.

I hope this helps, and please keep us posted since it may help other members as well.

Edited by treks
word insertion
  • Like (+1) 1