•  
Advertise here

2008 Jeep Wrangler Tapping Sound After Warms up

Baraz

Hi Baraz,

There are several possible causes for this tapping or knocking sound when the engine is hot, and unfortunately, being a Jeep, one of the most common causes is a problem with crankshaft bearings.

However, I need a bit more information on exactly how the knock behaves, because there could be other causes as well:

1.) Does it vary with engine speed? In other words, does the knock increase in frequency as the engine speed changes?

2.) Does the knock become faster, or change in any way when you let go of the accelerator pedal?

3.) Does the oil presssure warning light ever come on, or does it take a long time to go out after starting the engine?

4.) Has the knock been getting worse lately?

5.) Did the knock begin suddenly, or did it develop over a period of time?

It will help me a lot to diagnose this problem if you could answer these questions, but if possible, could you post a sound clip of the knock?

• Like (+1) 1

Hi Baraz,

I would like to tell you that additives will help, but I am afraid I can't. In fact, since we don't know yet what the problem is, putting additives that thin out oil can actually do more harm than good. If, as I suspect, you have a bearing problem, the additives will reduce the oil's lubricating ability, which can destroy the engine before you have an opportunity to identify the problem.

As I said before, Jeeps are known for their main bearing issues, so it will really help me to help you identify the problem if you could answer all of the questions in my prevous post. Moreover, if I were you, I would hold off on using any additives until you know what the problem is.

By the way, do you have petrol or diesel engine, and can you tell me what specific engine you have? This is important, since some petrol engines develop knocks when they have the wrong oil.  The wrong oil in V6 Jeep engine can also destroy the valve lifters, timing chains, tensioners, and chain guides, which means that this type of repair is very, very expensive. 

• Like (+1) 2

Hi Baraz,

I would like to tell you that additives will help, but I am afraid I can't. In fact, since we don't know yet what the problem is, putting additives that thin out oil can actually do more harm than good. If, as I suspect, you have a bearing problem, the additives will reduce the oil's lubricating ability, which can destroy the engine before you have an opportunity to identify the problem.

As I said before, Jeeps are known for their main bearing issues, so it will really help me to help you identify the problem if you could answer all of the questions in my prevous post. Moreover, if I were you, I would hold off on using any additives until you know what the problem is.

By the way, do you have petrol or diesel engine, and can you tell me what specific engine you have? This is important, since some petrol engines develop knocks when they have the wrong oil.  The wrong oil in V6 Jeep engine can also destroy the valve lifters, timing chains, tensioners, and chain guides, which means that this type of repair is very, very expensive.