•  
Advertise here

Battery sign appears on dash board

Romel

Hi Romel,

This is strange, but charging system warning lights usually only comes on when the alternator is not generating power. In this case it sounds like the voltage regulator is not working at high RPM, but the warning light usually comes on at low RPM's, when the alternator is not spinning fast enough to generate the full charging current.

In most Mazda's, the regulation of charging voltages happens in the ECU. This means you cannot have the alternator tested on its own. You need to take the whole car to a competent workshop for testing.

The best thing to do would be to have the car checked for stored fault codes. Messing around with alternators on Mazdas is looking for trouble unless you know exactly what you are looking  for, since accidental short circuits during testing can destroy the ECU.

• Like (+1) 5

As treks mentioned it's quite strange, I assume that some electrical or earthing wire may be loose and while touching the redline car vibrates too much at high speed and throw that battery Icon. Worth checking the all the engine wiring firmly, before taking a deeper dive.

I experienced something similar that while side sloping on dune car use to flicker that light and on flat surface its fine because of loose connection somewhere.

• Like (+1) 3

Another incident happen with me, when I swapped the engine the mechanic left the main engine wiring harness hanging close to the engine manifold and in extreme left cornering or side slope that wire got touched to manifold and burnt and cause battery fuse to blow due to short circuit.

Check nothing is passing too close to manifold area or touching it.

• Like (+1) 2

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 10:39 AM, treks said:

Hi Romel,

This is strange, but charging system warning lights usually only comes on when the alternator is not generating power. In this case it sounds like the voltage regulator is not working at high RPM, but the warning light usually comes on at low RPM's, when the alternator is not spinning fast enough to generate the full charging current.

In most Mazda's, the regulation of charging voltages happens in the ECU. This means you cannot have the alternator tested on its own. You need to take the whole car to a competent workshop for testing.

The best thing to do would be to have the car checked for stored fault codes. Messing around with alternators on Mazdas is looking for trouble unless you know exactly what you are looking  for, since accidental short circuits during testing can destroy the ECU.

Guys thank you for your inputs... will it be possible also that the carbon brass is already worn out? 

• Like (+1) 1

This is to share also my experience recently. I had been on a trip from dubai to abu dhabi vice versa around 200kilometers when I stopped on the shoulder of the road to answer a phone call. When I am about to go suddenly my engine died. Checked everything is normal...only cranking and cranking. Tried to open one coil and put extra spark plug to check if there is spark but it was nothing. Friend opinion to check crank sensor found below the main pulley if it dirty or what. Only to find out that 2 wires to the sensor were damaged and touching each other. Separated the wires put tape on it. (Remember to mark how the crank sensor before removing because if it is in the right adjustment it will not work also). It works and I escaped from costly repair if brought to a shop. It is good ECU was not damaged too.

Edited by Romel