•  
Advertise here

Fuel efficiency rating for all cars in UAE from 2017

ethan

Just read today morning that all cars in UAE will have below efficiency rating mandatory from 2017. This new move seems very good for educating consumer before buying the vehicle, however I am not understanding the need of creating 5 levels of rating within just 1 L/100 km (1.71 km/liter) difference.

All cars that I have ever own falls much below the "Very Poor" rating.

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/transport/cars-in-uae-to-have-fuel-efficiency-rating-next-year-1.1678219

1. 14.2 km/liter (7.04 L/100 km) = Very Good
  2. 13.6 km/liter (7.35 L/100 km) = Good 
  3. 13 km/liter (7.69 L/100 km) = Average 
  4. 12.5 km/liter (8 L/100 km) = Poor 
  5. 12.49 km/liter (8.006 L/100 km) = Very Poor
  • Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, amitaj said:

Is it only for new cars or will they rate all the old cars too?

All vehicles entering the UAE from 2017 model year, says the the first line of the article.

I agree with @nutbolt on this one.

The only reason why consumption figures were introduced all over the world was to supply the tax authorities with a means to calculate carbon, or emission taxes.

Consumption figures by themselves mean nothing, since it is well known that they are based on tests by manufacturers under supervised conditions. There is no way the consumption figures of any car can match real-world results obtained under real-world driving conditions.

It all about the taxes governments can raise, so everybody should actually be glad governments don't base emissions taxes on real-world consumption and emission figures. If they did, we would really be paying through the nose!

• Like (+1) 2

I think it otherwise guys, that unless UAE govt is going to start some restriction on car's efficiency no manufacture will introduce the hybrid, electric and other efficient car models in the region which is existing in other part of the world. This seems to me as a blessing for the new car owners to save a lot on annual fuel cost.

So I believe that this rating will help car user's a lot as car dealer will be forced to get more efficient cars to sell here.

This article does not say that bigger engine or less efficient cars will be discontinued or any fines for such cars will arise, so take it positively guys.

This seems preparing the plan to start charging for car registration and renewal based on rating and poor cars will pay more than efficient cars, that's why the gap is so less in 5 ratings. Make more money, as we need more roads and bridges in future.

Dear All

the discussion reminds me with the juok  when the wife came home and told her husband: I have a good new and a bad news, So the husband said: don't tell any bad news just the good news! so she said: Our new BMW car air bags are working efficiently!!

The sticker on the newspaper is matching US sticker on the new cars which is good news and a step forward to customer protection from dealers greed and towards lunching new laws similar to US lemon juice. 

however applying tax on fuel efficiency and emission is a very scary thing for motor heads like us and I think it may be applicable specially after the new budget announcement which is lowering government income from Oil to 6% only and stress on earning more income from services and charges but the idea is against the country main banner "Tax Free"

anyway I'm not an expert in politics but that what I understand about it!!

the other issue that many cars on the market is offering better fuel saving ..... for example I have been driving a rent car (Nissan Sentra) for the last 2 weeks and it's even offering 15.4 to 16 Km per liter which is very good ....(regardless performance and the poor quality ride)

So from now on I'll end my comment with Drive economically instead of Drive safely!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Why UAE can't tag to EURO Emission standards that have been developed since 1992 and update every few years, so tagging with Euro 6 standard will automatically force dealer to get environmental friendly cars without choking engine sizes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards