•  
Advertise here

What to doubt on low fuel mileage?

husain1

I think I noticed about 50 km drop in my last tank, and want to know what are the first few things to doubt and troubleshoot at my level. I know slight variation on every fuel tank is acceptable due to driving conditions, style and mood but this 50 km seems bit of concern to me. Thanks in advance.

• Like (+1) 1

Hi husain1,

Most causes of increased fuel consumption cause slow, gradual increases, for instance sparkplugs that cause progressively increased consumption as they wear away. The same goes for the air filter- it causes a gragula icreasin in fuel consumption as it clogs up over a long period.

Sudden increases almost always happen as the result of something that has changed, such as fitting the wrong spark plugs during a service, filling the engine with the wrong oil, or the failure of a sensor or one or more injectors.

You don't mention if you had the car serviced just before you noticed the increased consumption- if you did, I suggest you check the spark plugs to see if they are of the correct type, and if the gaps are correct.

You also don't say if the car's performance has changed in any way. For instance, does it seem to have more power all of a sudden? Is it more difficult to start when it is hot? Is it idling as smoothly as before?

If you can answer "yes" to any of these questions, there is a good chance that one or more injectors may be leaking, or that there is a problem with the  mass air flow meter, manifold pressure sensor, or the throttle body. Any one of these sensors can cause a sudden increase in fuel consumption, but they will also affect the car's performance in some way. It may be difficult to start, or it may idle roughly or too high.

Broken vacuum lines can also cause a sudden increase in consumption, but it will also affect performance, and especially how the engine runs at idle, and/or how it responds to throttle inputs.

Sorry I can't be of more help with the information you provided, but please post more detais of other symptoms so that we can figure out this problem.

• Like (+1) 2

Some immediate DIY is to always check tire pressure once a week in summer and every two week in cold weather. Clean air filter at any enoc / eppco by using their air gun and pay them 5 dirham. Check oil level every week when car is cold (before starting).

Off course for more detailed checks go with treks advice.

Hope your car is regular serviced and you are using same grade of fuel to identify the variance. If you have been using "Super" and counting the mileage then it will be different mileage (lower) if you switch to "Special" fuel grade. Hope it's same, please confirm.