•  
Advertise here

Is dash cam are allowed in the UAE?

rayre

I have seen in so many countries that drivers are driving with the permanently installed dash-cam in their car to protect their innocence on that one ugly day.

I have been thinking of same to use it here and was discussing which one to buy and then one of the colleague pointed that it's not allowed in the UAE. Wanna ask you guys if it's really allowed here or not as I don't find anything objectionable to record on-road traffic.

• Like (+1) 8

LONG ANSWER: Govt and police like the idea but not sure to how to deal with privacy issue that is the main concern to not to allow any filming in public be it from dash cam or from your iphone. I believe (may be I am wrong) proposal have been submitted to higher authorities and govt bodies to reconsider this idea and we all are waiting. Even you show something to police they will not look into it and also it may not go against you unless it comes as a written complaint from the person you filmed. It's too complicated.......phewwwww.

SHORT ANSWER: No, it's not allowed at the moment as of 5 March 2016.

• Like (+1) 6

I personally feel this will never be allowed. Moreover I feel this will reveal how many inconsiderate and uncivilized drivers drive in here including some big expensive shiny cars with fancy 4 digit number plates.

It's the quick rich drivers makes lot of nonsense of tailgating, flashing constantly, cutting 5 rows in less than 1 seconds, jumping the queue. On the other hand biggest guys who drive 2 or 3 digit they drive very humbly and respectfully on second or third lane.

How often you have seen civic, accord, altima or camry drivers doing much of non-sense: 1 in 100......!

• Like (+1) 3

Then we will have a laughing video every hour on YouTube, doing all sort of stunts and stupid action.......!

Frankly speaking it will be meaningless to record it if cops does not accept it.

• Like (+1) 1

What happen if you use it quietly and dont show it to anyone, but still recording with few days overlapping video. Is OK to use but not OK to use the video....? Is that what it means?

My understanding of this is that the police will be happy to review video of any accident that occurs. It will most likely make their job of apportioning blame much easier. DO NOT post video from the dash cam on any social media sites, that is definitely illegal in UAE. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 5 months later...