•  
Advertise here

Laser rust removal

Barry

This looks like one bad ass machine. It uses a 1000 Watt laser to strip oxides, paint, oil and grease to prepare metal surfaces for work. Apparently it can be used for nuclear decontamination too :-o Much cleaner alternative to media blasting. Best get saving though, I've heard they're around $500k.

• Like (+1) 1

1000 Watts? I use a 20 milli-watt green laser as a pointer when I present astronomy lectures, and with that laser, I can burst a party balloon at 6 meters in less than a second, and light a cigarette in under 7 seconds at a distance of 1 meter. I have also accidentally sustained serious burns with it. 

Just imagine what this 1kW monster could do to the thin metal of a car body! Less powerful gas lasers are used to cut thick steel plate, but this particular laser should work well to clean gunk off ships and such though.

Here's a guy using it on a car to strip paint. I'd love to see the actual finish up close though. When I worked in restoration, we used media blasting to clean the shells prior to starting work and sometimes it would leave the metal distorted which could be a real pain to sort. Personally, what I find funny in this video is the guy wearing sunglasses. If a 1000 Watt laser was to touch the glass and bounce back, it would melt his eyeballs, sunglasses or no sunglasses. I find laser technology fascinating, stuff like the space elevator blows my mind and how long before someone designs a laser engine which can be used in cars?

Much depends on the energizing medium in a laser, so I guess in this case, the medium would be some sort of crystal, rather than a gas, so the light beam is not energetic enough to melt the car's metal. 

Speaking of lasers as propulsion systems- some gas lasers are powerful enough to move pieces of space debris into other orbits. In one famous experiment about 15 years ago, a laser was pointed (from earth) at a piece of burnt-out rocket engine in orbit around earth, and after 48 hours, the orbit of the piece of space junk was changed by several km- enough to prevent it ever falling back onto the earth. So yes, with some fine tuning, we might see laser engines in cars yet.