•  
Advertise here

Interesting facts about car names in different countries

Barry

When the Toyota MR2 was released in France they renamed it the MRS. When you say MR2 in French it is M R Deux, which sounds exactly like merde, the French word for shit.

The Mitsubishi Starion was originally supposed to be named the Mitsubishi Stallion. When you say Stallion in a Japanese accent, it sounds like Starion. Someone in Mitusbishi heard the car being called the Starion, wrote it down wrong and the name stuck.

The Mitsubish Pajero had to be renamed as the Shogun for the Spanish speaking market. When Pajero is translated from Spanish, it literally means wanker.

The Vauxhall/Opel Nova was rebranded as the Corsa for the Spanish speaking market. Nova translated means not going, as in always broken.

The Mazda LaPuta was not released in the Spanish speaking market. Translated, it means the whore.

The Nissan Moco was also not released in the Spanish speaking market. Translated, Moco means booger. See a pattern developing here?

Then there’s also the Opel Ascona. Translated from Spanish, Ascona means female genitalia.

You’ll never see a Honda Fitta in Sweden. In Swedish, Fitta is a word for female genitalia.

The Ford Pinto was marketed in Brazil but failed to sell in any numbers. Pinto is the Brazilian word for penis. People weren’t exactly keen to buy one and say hey, come and look at my new penis.

And finally the Mazda Light Dump and Titan Dump. I think they speak for themselves.

The Opel Ascona was released as such in Southern Africa. Perhaps they don't have many Spanish speaking people there.

Haha very true! I once bought an old seized engine from an Alfasud because I wanted the carbs and linkages to modify for a Beetle project. When I went to pick it up, the engine still had the mounts on it and two little pieces of tin hanging off each side. I asked the guy what that was all about and he told me that was all that was left of the car. :shock: