•  
Advertise here

Good day guys!

Just came across this forum, and I hope someone can help me.

I have recently bought a used 2011 Audi Q5 (2.0T engine) with 102 000 km on it, but it seems to use more oil than fuel. The dealer who sold me the car says that this model can use up to 1 liter of oil for every 1000 kms, but this seems excessive to me. They are refusing to do anything to solve the issue.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this model, and does it really use this much oil? Is it normal to have to carry a can of oil with me all the time?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Every turbo car drinks bit of engine oil, roughly 1 liter per 1000 kms - 1500 kms. Older the turbo car gets drink more and more engine oil, as it has something to do with ageing turbo (not sure exactly what it is).

Have you got the turbo health check, before buying the car? 100k although is not too much for turbo to get tired, but again it depends on how it has been treated in past with agency service or roadside service!

Ethan is right- all turbo engines use more oil, but in the case of the 2.0T engine, official Audi sources state that normal oil consumption should not exceed 0.5 liters per 1600km. Anything above that is considered to be abnormal, and the dealer must fix it. Technical Service Bulletin #101103 issued on November 3rd  2012, describes the problem and repair procedure, so let your dealer research the Bulletin.

The problem with your Q5 involves both excessive pressure in the engine that forces oil through the crankcase ventilation system, and incorrect tolerances between the rings, pistons, and cylinder walls that allows oil to be burnt.

Audi has admitted the problem, and have been fixing this issue in the Q5, A4, and A5 2.0T engines by replacing the front crankshaft seal and crankcase ventilation valve. They have also updated the engine software to reduce blow-by pressure in the engine.

However, to get this done you must take the car back to the dealer, and remind them of the class action lawsuit in America, where Audi was forced to repair the issue. As a first step, the dealer must change the oil, and weigh the oil they replace it with. At this point, they must also replace the PCV valve, front crankshaft seal, and do the software upgrade.

You must then drive the car normally for 1600 km, after which the dealer will weigh the oil again to see how much you have used. If the problem persists, the only other way to fix the issue is to have the engine rebuilt to replace the pistons and rings with units that have been redesigned. This usually fixes the problem, but the real problem is getting the dealer to actually do a rebuild.  

Remember that during the testing process, you must NOT add oil to the engine. The dealer needs to know exactly how much oil your engine in using to be able to make the most suitable repair.  

In simple words, avoid Turbo cars and I am really surprise that why Audi still hung up with turbo engines, when whole world switched to supercharge.

In Turbo engine, all depends on how much PSI pressure turbo is adding on the engine to produce additional hp from dinky 2.0 poor engine. In ideal world 0.75 bar pressure is just barely enough to get extra hp simultaneously keeping happy engine lifespan. Anything more than this would get you immediate more hp, but slash couple of years from engine lifespan.

@hanif class action is thing of US, here in UAE there is no class action I have ever heard as law doesn't permit of class action. At least that was the case in one of the property developer who failed to deliver on time and all buyer wants to use class action and all legal lawyer told this to us back in 2012. Check if now anything have changed or not.

Only way to force car dealer here is request nicely, and then force them on emails and written communication and not on verbal word of confidence. If still not listening, write to Audi Germany and this might help you but no guarantee and sorry for your loss.

Hi Haroon

If your car still under warranty go to the dealer and get your benefits.... if not you may consider a regular major service to your car with the specified engine oil grade (mostly Castrol don't go for unknown brands without prior experience) and spark plugs and filters (Oil & Air) and then you can evaluate the oil burning issue if you do the service by Audi professional workshop they'll see the indication on oil ventilation system and turbo housing for oil burning and guide you.

the other thing that the same engine with the same code is used on VW Golf R & VW Tigwan so don't worry about parts all available (original & aftermarket and even used parts)

You'll be doing the service anyway and remember that dealers push the cars to the limits to keep it running smooth for customers during test drive while everyday driving will not push RPM above 3500 to 4000 RPM which may burn 1 liter for every 3000 Km.

Good Luck and enjoy your new ride!

Edited by Saleem
additional details
  • Like (+1) 1

+1 with saleem advice, DIY step by step procedure than believing anyone for their fake words. This way you will save money and really know what the issue is.