•  
Advertise here

Good day to all!

Are there any Ford F-250 experts here? I certainly hope so since the local mechanics don’t seem able find the reason why my 2011 Ford F-250 (with the 6.7-liter diesel engine) stalled without warning.

When it first happened, I got a warning on the dashboard that said “Stop Safely Now”. Almost immediately afterward, the truck started losing power in the middle of heavy traffic, and about five seconds later it died on me, and it was only through a miracle that the driver behind me was able to avoid a running into the back of my truck.  

Since I could not start the truck again, I had it towed to the nearest garage, where I was told after a week of trying that they could not find the problem. This garage (I don’t want to mention names here) referred me to another garage, who also could not find the problem, except to say that they have found a few trouble codes but they don’t know what these codes mean, since they have never seen them before. I find this hard to believe, but that is what I was told. This garage suggested I change the fuel filter, but this was done only three weeks ago during a routine service.

The dealer told me since my truck has more than 380 000 kms on it (it was used as a delivery vehicle before I bought it), it is no longer covered by any type of warranty. I cannot afford to have the dealers involved with the repair, so any help, guidance, and advice would be appreciated. I am now afraid to drive the truck, because it could die on me again and when it does, I might not be so lucky in avoiding a crash.  

What were the fault codes? If you can post them we will have a better idea of what's going on.

Also, you mentioned that the fuel filter was changed. Diesels are prone to airlocks in the fuel system after a filter change if the correct procedure wasn't followed during changing, i.e. filling the filter/housing with fuel before fitting, following the correct bleeding procedure. There is also a chance that there is an issue with a seal or pipe near the filter/housing which is causing the system to draw in air which could explain the problem you mentioned but again, knowing the trouble codes would be a great help.

Hi Danib,

It is possible for mechanics never to see some trouble codes, and especially in the UAE, where there are very few diesel powered vehicles.

Nonetheless, the symptoms you describe on your truck can involve one or more trouble codes that all relate to the temperature of the exhaust gas on this particular engine. Some of these codes are generic - P2471, P2479, P2031, P2032, P2033, and P2084, while others are specific to Ford, such as P242A, P242D, P246E, P0544 and/or P247B.

This engine has several sensors that measure the temperature of the exhaust gas, which temperature serves as an indicator of how well the fuel/air mixture is burnt. It also indicates a few other things that have to do with how well the engine is working, but on this engine some of the exhaust gas temperature sensors are known to be bad.

When the ECU receives a faulty signal from one of these [defective] sensors, i.e., the exhaust gas is too hot, the ECU “sees” an engine that is overheating, or running too lean, which is when it shuts down the engine to prevent further damage.

This shutting down process is automatic, and there is nothing a driver can do to stop, or interrupt it, since for all practical purposes, the ECU has taken over control of the entire vehicle. Depending on which sensor is defective, the ECU may allow the engine to be restarted after a while, but in most cases, the engine cannot be started until the UCE “thinks” that it has cooled down sufficiently, which information it gets from the coolant temperature sensors.

The only thing to do in this case is to replace all four of the sensors that monitor the exhaust gas temperature. This usually cures the problem permanently, but it is unlikely that you will find these sensors here in the UAE. You may find aftermarket sensors, but I would not use aftermarket parts if it were my vehicle. These sensors are very important to the overall functioning of the engine, and I would advise you to contact the dealer to get OEM sensors.