•  
Advertise here

CRV Engine Oil

Hi,

Could somebody let me know the exact rating and brand of engine oil (other than honda engine oil) to be used in 2007 CRV. The reason is that after doing an oil change in ADNOC fuel consumption has increased. Fully synthetic was used in ADNOC. 

Appreciate your advice. 

I believe it's 5W20, but its better to check with your car owners manual or give a call to Honda service center and confirm 100%.

For adnoc oil change is not bad and not good, so it's too little that slightly variant in Oil change contribute to fuel consumption. There could be lot more reason to call for lower mileage than oil change.

• Check your tire pressure and keep 1 or 2 psi more than required.
  • Is this difference noticed with same driver, if not driver is the MAIN factor.
  • Have you added any additional heavy weight in your car trunk?
  • Have you installed any roof rack, front bumper grill or lights that might spoil the aerodynamics?
  • While oil change, air filter was cleaned...? If it's too dirty better change it will bump up fuel economy.

Thanks Guys..

To reply to Danny, No other variations has been done other than the oil change and air filter was cleaned together with changing the oil filter. 

can you tell which grade adnoc oil you used....? Was it synthethic or mineral....? And how many kms sticker they have put for 5000kms or 10000 kms?

I would not use Adnoc / ENOC engine oil other than little top-up in an emergency situation, as I don't think they have a very good capacity to manufacture engine oil that meet / exceed specifications of other international top-tier engine oil manufacturers such as Shell, Castrol, Mobil 1 etc.

If you are on budget, to avoid the the dealer service I would highly recommend what Kasim said to go for Mobil 1 or any other good international engine oil brand and go to ADNOC / ENOC and ask them to change, they will charge 20 dhs labor for oil change and you be 100% sure that you have put good quality stuff in your car.

I agree with @Imaan that even though oil may be branded as synthetic, it does not mean that is synthetic. Unless you are an expert in oil analysis, you never know what you get when you buy some brands of oil.

I must also point out that due to the difference in size between mineral oil molecules, and synthetic oil molecules, oil consumption can rise sharply when you change to mineral oil after using synthetic oil. The reason for this is the fact that mineral oil molecules are not the same size, and the smallest molecules (that are often smaller than the molecules in synthetic oil) can, and do slip through and past the rings.

By contrast, synthetic oil molecules are all exactly the same size, and engines that are designed for synthetic oil have such small clearances that the oil molecules cannot slip past the rings. As someone else pointed out in this trhead, the best thing to do is to buy international oil brands, and specifically those brands that carry the European and Japanese oil standard badges.

These oils are designed with specific cars in mind, meaning that they are formulated for specific makes of cars. Stay away from generic brands, and never use mineral oil when synthetic oils is recommended by a car manufacturer.

the recommended grade is 0W-30 for 5000 Km however it's for cold weather countries so if you like you may switch to 10W-40 (and you may use it for 5000 as Honda recommended) which available as synthetic and sim-synthetic and mineral which would reflect on price and driven distance to change oil, however engine condition may guide you to use sim-synthetic or mineral if you have some oil vaporizing as fully synthetic will not survive in that condition!

The other issue be sure to check engine oil dipstick and make sure that oil level on middle of the mark (not full or empty) after long standing still (over night) without starting engine some times overfilling would effect engine performance badly and impact on fuel consumption as side effect and be sure to replace filter every time to avoid mixing different brands of oil.