•  
Advertise here

Best offroad truck for UAE desert

In my experience the fist question should be- Diesel or petrol engine? The advantages of a diesel over  petrol are so many that everything else comes second- here are some examples;

1.) More power at lower revs.

2.) Better fuel economy.

3.) Diesel engines last longer than any petrol engine.

4.) Diesel engines are generally smaller and lighter than petrol engines in the same vehicle, so you get better weight distribution.

5.) Less maintenance, particularly in the electrical system.

There are many more, but these should get you going.

Edited by treks
word deletion

What is your budget? Is this is your daily driver. My recommendation for the desert is higher power to weight ratio is better, but a longer wheelbase is a disadvantage even for the likes of Raptor with all its formidable power. Why do you want a pickup, why not a 4 door wagon shape?

Some here will not agree to this, but reliability equals Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, nothing else comes close. I have not driven the new Turbo diesel engines in the dunes here, but the higher revving petrols have had an advantage before all the turbo diesels that are available now in the world. But note, that many of the local distributors do not bring the larger turbo diesels to this market.

I have personally test driven and would rank the trucks as follows in my opinion:

1. Ram 1500 - Crew Cab - Laramie if you can afford it. I had seen the Cummins Turbo Charged Diesel engine at Trading Enterprise in Festival City, one mean truck but not for sale in the UAE market, only for export.

2. Ford F150 FX4 - Crew Cab - Love the suspensions on the F150, plus I have a friend who owns one and rode with him in the desert for the Gulf News Fun Drive and that thing is both powerful and comfortable to ride for 8 hours without any pains and aches.

3. Chevrolet Silverado - Hate the truck and hate the high price, I don't think it is worth it. 

We can't ignore Diesel prices Vs Petrol or mileage efficiency!!

Check Isuzu D-MAX and MU-X which is simply a 2.5 L 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine a re-marked Chevrolet Blazer and Savanna Pick up truck

which torque you think that you can get from this engine if you learn that it produce 136 HP only at 3,300 rpm?

I think you can pull a plain if you have the good gears!

also you can check Sang young Actyon pick up with Mercedes engine and transmission used earlier in 3 door G class (and still option to register it as a private car as dealer promised due to closed loading compartment) but still cheap and ugly option!

and the new ford ranger v6 engine (limited with automatic transmission)

and VW Amarok still outside the competition as 4 cylinder manual transmission with AWD option but Nissan Navara V6 can be registered as a private car.

landscape-1427137943-new-ford-ranger-2-front-3qtr.jpg

NLX14A-0094.jpg

Speed-Isuzu-D-MAX-mu-X-launch1-1200x630.jpg

Edited by Saleem
additional details

• 1 year later...

Hey can someone shed more light on this topic considering the following.

Between tundra and ford f150 not raptor. Both V8 crew cab and 3 years old. 

1. Reliability 

2. Resale

3. Maintenance cost

4. Drive pleasure: 90 percent on road drive and 10 off

You being an ex-toyota guy, asking this is unbelievable.

ANYDAY TOYOTA over Ford for any/all of the above points.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

40 minutes ago, waqaszohair said:

Haha true that, only thing was that tundra is imported and I see more fords around town somehow 

So Isn't that even better that yours will be an exclusive animal among common sheeps....!

• Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Ford is the best selling truck over several years in USA. I have test driven it and love it for quite a few reasons. Never ride in a Tundra so no idea how to compare the two.