•  
Advertise here

Abandoned cars in Dubai

Barry

All around I see cars abandoned. I mean obviously, totally abandoned, like they have been there for 6 months or more and are covered in dust. What happens to these cars? I assume they don't just get left there or the city would run out of parking spaces. Do these cars become available for sale anywhere or just get taken to a yard and left there?

Abandoned cars that has outstanding bank loan get confiscated and then auction recover the money for the bank.

Cars that is not on bank and abandoned for very long time after sticking few municipality notice, it moved away in a yard.

Few weeks back I went to Dubai Airport and saw some nice cars left fully abandoned in departure long term parking lot eating dust, at least more than 3 months as some had flat tires as well.

Is the trend of people leaving Dubai and running off to their countries without informing the banks are coming back as it was in 2008-2009.....?

@taqir this seem like usual phenomena every year during June - July when school finishes and people abandoned their bank loan cars and gone for good. All banks are keeping allocated budget for the confirm losses these days and that's why they are very very careful in lending and check the complete credit history unlike before. Lesson learned from time.

Unless it was retrieved by owner form the  yard with in 3 months it will be listed in public auction and sold to the higher price any resident with valid UAE ID or GCC can register for biding after paying the deposit.

remember all items are AS IT IS and inspection is available before the auction with one week and all specs dose not apply as most of the items are as it is (keys not available) so you can't start engines or check running condition or transmission or AC so mostly the main biders are traders and workshops and scrap yards and they mostly after fast running models other than that prices are so low.

Happy Hunting.....!!!!

@Saleem it's not the case always, as I see one Jeep parked behind my house in loose gravel area for more than 2 years now.

Can you tell me who auction these abandoned cars and who keeps the money...? And what happen if owner come back and claim later on?

Ethan .... Ethan .... Ethan is after the big Fish.....!!! LOL

it comes by municipality and RTA together so in paid parking a fine after paid parking hours then a notice will be stacked on the glass after 1 week then it will be taken by police recovery truck and it will be charged during the 3 months if no one claimed it (owner or mortgaged bank)  it will be sold on the auction.

please note that the mortgaged cars will be sold as well on the auction if the bank did not claim it however some times it's sold as a lot on a list which can not be registered to avoid conflicts between police and banks as it was sold by traffic court order.

the other story for non paid parking that as long as the car is clean or undamaged they don't touch it or issue fine if else they take it if no number plates they take it.

in Sharjah it's totally different story!

Happy Hunting Ethan....! enjoy jumping over sand dunes..!!

• Like (+1) 1