•  
Advertise here

How is 2008 Land Rover LR3 for Sand desert driving?

I'll try to make easy... (but it isn't!)

look for longitude engine (so it's basically rear wheel drive and better engine balance and weight distribution) and mostly chassis with drive train can be separated from body.

and all wheel drive all time which means no transfer case but a middle (3rd) differential gear to distribute torque on wheels on demand.

or select-able all wheel drive try to chose a car with lever not a button to select drive mode

these are the main line it would take you from 20,000 Suzuki jmny and daihatsu terios up to Toyota Prado and Fortuner and Jeep and Nissan Pathfinder and Extra which is the only one would give you the same rigid construction and some shape lines from LR3 (cube look or boxy look) and drives nice on high way and stable on high speed.

2008-nissan-xterra.jpg

2014_nissan_xterra_4dr-suv_s_fq_oem_1_300.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

I have friend who had a LR3, and as you describe our style of driving was "cruising", this friend cruised around 200km+ in Liwa over a 2 night trip, he did well. He knew how to use the vehicle from multiple trips, which he had learnt about the electronics and the delays in traction aids switching on/off.

But once he did mention that his car's suspension had lowered completely, he had this issue occur at his home, and was able to have it towed to the dealer, they ran the fancy computer, and found that one of the rear lights, not sure if brake light or just the rear light bulb had blown. Once replaced, the suspension functioned again. I would consider this an issue, and what has been mentioned before, the reliability is something to consider when going offroad, you want to be able to get back, and if something does go wrong, and Land cruisers and Patrols do breakdown in the desert, but they can limp back and be fixed almost all over the UAE/Oman, which I assume where most of your driving would be.

I own a Y61 patrol, and love it, but it is a gas guzzler, and cooling is not great for cabin or engine, also the front axle is too weak for the weight of the engine. My wife drives my older 120 series prado, very very comfortable ride, AC is very good, but there was a fault from factory for the evaporator, which leaked and needed replacement, AED3000 bill, but the only large bill in 170,000kms of motoring, yes a axle boots and modified control arms joints needed replacement, but nothing major.

We used to have a V6 fortuner, and I still believe that this a unsung hero, 7 seats, rear difflock, manual shift into locked centre diff, in high and low ratio and does not guzzle fuel, but as weight is low the engine has enough power to outperform the prado and patrol. Only issue is the size of fuel tank in the early models, but your budget I think can get a 2nd generation with larger fuel tank.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Vanhack, for lovely experience sharing and suggestion. Although I haven't paid any attention to Fortuner, but will defintely see fortuner and patrol. Your Y61 is the 2 door or 4 door model and which year?

• 3 weeks later...