•  
Advertise here

Volvo 66

Barry

I picked this up a while back. It belonged to an old guy who was full of good intentions to restore it but became ill and went into hospital so his son decided to scrap it. I decided to save it because it's something you rarely see. Paid the heavy sum of 60 GBP for it, around 300 Dirhams. I cleaned the carburetor out, put some fresh petrol in, set the points and got it running but never got around to doing much else with it. I thought about doing something crazy like fitting a SR20DET engine but the footwell is so small that there's no room to add a clutch pedal.

It's a 1976 Volvo 66. Basically the same car as the DAF 66 with a Volvo badge and a few minor trim differences here and there. It has a 1289cc Renault C series engine. 56 horsepower when new. It only has 20k miles on the odometer, hence why I didn't want to scrap it. It has a DAF Variomatic transmission, an early belt driven form of CVT. Crazy thing, capable of travelling in reverse at the same speed it goes forward. 40 MPH in reverse in a biscuit tin isn't as much fun as it sounds. It's damn scary.

Anyway, here she is in all her primer covered glory. Sorry about the quality of the picture, I took it with my calculator.

volvo.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Very nice stuff and thanks for sharing this to revive some of my ol memories when I use to be much enthusiasts and hyper in taking these sort of mod projects. Sadly none of them seen the light and eventually I pulled my hand out after some many if's and but's based sour experience, exactly like yours.