•  
Advertise here

Best GPS navigation for offroad

I am planning to restart the offroad activities now and wondering what is the best gps navigation for offroad you guys are using? I'm from Garmin era, that we used to stick on dash and record the route, way point and breadcrumb for the trail. Appreciate if anyone has any suggestion based on smartphone app (IOS / Android) so that's easier to use and share, only challenge will be the 3G/4G availability in remote areas, so may be an offline app.....?

MUST READ: Best offroad GPS Navigation App for iPhone

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi Gaurav, I use a combination of Garmin, Google Earth/Maps and and app called maps.me 

Garmin is good for point to point navigation i.e. when you're in the desert and heading to specific coordinates, not so good for roads as the maps aren't very accurate.

Google Earth I use to find routes and places that looks interesting to explore and Google Maps for driving around but no turn by turn navigation for Oman and needs an internet connection for maps.

maps.me is an application that is similar to google maps but the map data gets downloaded onto the phone directly - once this is done no internet connection required for navigation. The map data is open source as well so has lots of POI uploaded.

I also recommend maps.me on App Store. I had no data on my phone and spent 2 months walking from the east side of Germany to France last summer with this as a map. One bit of advice I will give you, before you go somewhere, zoom in on the area you are travelling to when you are still at home with wifi and it will download the map so you can use it offline. 

3 hours ago, Barry said:

I also recommend maps.me on App Store. I had no data on my phone and spent 2 months walking from the east side of Germany to France last summer with this as a map. One bit of advice I will give you, before you go somewhere, zoom in on the area you are travelling to when you are still at home with wifi and it will download the map so you can use it offline. 

This zoom in and caching maps works with google maps too, so why we switch....? Offline means like sygic app.

• 2 weeks later...

I am old school too, still using my trusted Garmin 276C for off-road, but the amount of time I have spent in the desert the only time I really use it is when I am going for a discovery drive in an unknown place or when weather is bad and the conditions don't allow you to see far. All other times I can navigate within the desert between Kalba all the way to Lisali on my instincts and I do not require a GPS.

OMG, you are the second guy today told me that you still stick to 276C. @vanhack youare not alone.....!

Rahim bhai, not every one is as seasoned offroader as you are and I still prefer to stick some gps on dash while off-road.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I would like to see an off-road navigation on the Android or IOS which would allow me to do everything the Garmin 276 C can do. Garmin 276 C was basically for Marine Navigation and its little brother Garmin 76 CSX was more for bikers who needed something a little more handy than a brick. It allows you to store 20,000 way points, 200 routes and 15 tracks. For me Waypoints are more important as I like to make my own way through the desert.

Rahimbhai, I agree the simplicity of the interface on the 276C is unmatchable, when trying to select waypoints whilst in motion. I have seen a small plane in Zambia's only domestic airline being flown using a 276c, just this March.

I also believe that my old eyes and mind find it a slow learning curve to adapt the new tech, but I have been using a Montana 680t, and birdseye imagery is great, and so is the touch screen to enter alphabets via keyboard an advantage...I am keeping the 276 for 1 season, see how this year goes with the 680t.

You should see the prices of 276 on ebay these days, still has a good following.

• Like (+1) 1

I have heard about the Montana but not seen it, do keep us posted on the performance of the Montana off-road.

Nice bit of information to know that airlines in Zambia using the 276C.

Cheers.