•  
Advertise here

Which is the best tire these day?

ameen

It's time to replace the tire on one of my car, and some says bridgestone and dunlop are good with reasonable price tag. Other says go korean tire Nitto or Kumho as they last same as japanese brands. Some says for Michellin and pirelli the most expensive, but it will last longer than 3 years.

Isn't RTA Tasjeel has a standard of of failing tire older than 3 years....? Then why I pay extra or double for michellin and pirelli tires? Please help.

• Like (+1) 1

If you drive a family sedan, you should be OK with Nitto or Kumho tires. However, if you drive a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or something similar, you have to pay more for Pirelli or Michelin tires because these tires are designed to be able to cope with the higher cornering and braking forces these cars develop.

That said, Pirelli or Michelin tires are generally wasted on family sedans.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry "treks but I disagree partly with you on this. Michelin is never wasted in any car due to its extremely high quality rubber that last almost double than other tire and super silky and super quiet on road. Its worth every penny. PERIOD.

• Like (+1) 1

@aatish, it all depends on the tires' speed and traction ratings. For instance, there is no benefit to fitting Pirelli tires with a 180+ km/h speed rating on a sedan that cannot do those speeds. Moreover, high-speed rated tires need to be at a certain temperature for the traction rating to be relevant, so by paying money for a tire that cannot perform as intended (or designed), is a waste of money. 

Also remember that the higher the speed and traction ratings on a tire gets, the softer the compounds are, meaning that high performance tires never give the same mileage as tires that were designed for family sedans.

• Like (+1) 1

On my 2012 Sedan car since new, I tried at least 3 brand of tires already they are:

1) TOYO- Original tires from purchased (2012) (Tire Rotation done regularly)

My Review: Good road handling but easy to wear & road noise/ noisy tires

2) Hankook Ventus- Installed around Oct. 2013 (Tire Rotation done regularly)

My Review:Comfort, Quiet but less response on breaking

3) Nitto- Installed around July 2015 (Tire Rotation done regularly) 

My Review: Good grip on the road & Handling, little bit noisy on the road

Next week, again I am planning to replace my Nitto tire as the tire noise was getting more day by day, I am using my Sedan car for my daily drive from Dubai (Home) to Abu Dhabi (Office), so I am little bit more concern on the tire noise and road handling, I heard that General Tires are good (German Technology) price is cheap also or otherwise I will might consider Hankook Optimo which they said they were both quiet on the road and good grip on road handling as well.

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with Saleem, Yokohama is only Japanese tire unlike dunlop that is great in road handling, treadware and noise.

Whatever you choose, steer clear from Dunlop like a plague, they are bullshit tires especially grandtrek.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Very good point by Daaminh, to have a tire compressor handy for emergency, it's really a blessing than going through the hassle of changing the tire and all.

For tire brand choice I will vote for Michelin (for expensive) and Bridgestone / Yokohama (for moderate range) and Nitto / Kumho (for cheapest range).

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a pair of Dunlop Sport Maxx 050+ Japanese tyres for my Kio Rio to complement my front two Deestone Carreras (Thailand made). I must say the tread designs are quite different, but I am quite happy with my choce. While the Deestone had a more floaty feeling when driving, the Dunlops do have a bit more grip. overall, I am happy with both choices. The Deessones cost me 200 dhs each while the Dunlops set me back 260 dhs (with an additional 250 dhs for wheel alignment and setting)!

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use