•  
Advertise here

Partial use of hard shoulder is acceptable?

aatish

Just wondering if occasionally partial  use of hard shoulder (yellow lane) for changing lanes or to avoid the the traffic to move to free right is acceptable or not?

I see many times people pile up in all 6 lanes to go left, whereas only two will go left and block the straight 4 lanes and free right filter lane. in such cases can I use the hard shoulder to go to free right?

Example: sana signal in karama, Dubai. midriff and Warqa signal in Dubai. Muhaisanah signal in Dubai.

The rule here is simple, you are not allowed to use the hard shoulder except for vehicle breakdown or in case of accident and moving the cars to the hard shoulder to free the traffic. However this rule is open to interpretation by the Police person in question. Some may be in a good mood and allow you to do so without any issues, some might stop you to hassle you and waste your time to show you the value of time lost vs time saved. In some cases however some of the Police Officers are intolerant towards usage of the hard shoulder and would directly fine you without saying a word.

My advise is to be safe than sorry and do not use the hard shoulder except in emergencies. Some times you might get lucky, but don't make it a habit.

Important Information

Terms of use