•  
Advertise here

What is the average life of car engine?

My car engine going through troubles more than often lately, and one of my friend advise it's better to change the engine. My car is about 5-6 years old and I am wondering if its right age to change the engine or not. Thanks in advance.

• Like (+1) 1

What car? What engine? What kind of trouble?

P.S : I have two cars one is 19yrs old and the other 14 both with 200k Plus on them on original motors and both pull like stabbed rats

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 2

Engines generally last as long as the car if they're looked after properly. It's usually all the other electrical crap and ancillaries bolted to them that goes wrong. 

Why do you feel you need to change your engine? What's wrong with it?

• Like (+1) 2

My car is Hyundai Tucson 2010 model, bought in 11 and have mileage of 110K, In last six month spend too much money with engine lights, then doing some detail service when it fail to start, then rattling in parking cause another money. All seems like one after the other and car never become 100% normal after that.

• Like (+1) 1

Car engine doesn't have any specific life expectancy. People can destroy engine in 30K kms by not doing oil change or maintenance and also run million km mark by following regular maintenance.

Like desertdude I also have 17 year old Pajero with 180k kms and it's still doing great.

Maybe you have been victim of fake mechanic or fake prescription like many of us have been in the past. It's always good to make few attempt to find a good and reasonable workshop with some level of honesty.

As a simple rule of thumb, always take three opinion and estimates for any car problem and go with the one that sound more competent and economical.

• Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On 12/8/2016 at 2:28 PM, victoria said:

My car is Hyundai Tucson 2010 model, bought in 11 and have mileage of 110K, In last six month spend too much money with engine lights, then doing some detail service when it fail to start, then rattling in parking cause another money. All seems like one after the other and car never become 100% normal after that.

Hi Victoria,

Seems very unlikely that your car engine on a Hyundai Tucson would go at 110K Kms. However, manufacturers and Showrooms nowadays give you warranty of 5 years or 100K Kms and once warranty is over you find that the car gives most headaches. If you are a true petrol head than you keep the car running for as long as you can and most cars if maintained on time will reduce the number of problems or delay the inevitable expenses.

Carnity is the right platform to post your questions regarding any car troubles you are having and just wait for the expert responses to pour in. Please try to describe the problem you are having in details to best of your observation so that we can help you accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1

I've got a car (my oldest one) which is about to turn 17 years and it's still roaring.

I had the CEL on once, all I did is change the EGR valve and cleaned the Throttle body, along with the intake manifold and the Mass Air Flow/sensor, and the CEL is gone...

Maybe you can try it too, it doesn't cost too much...

Cheers.

PS: it now has more than 300 thousand kms on the clock.

Edited by buchukoy
  • Like (+1) 3

I am a mechanical engineer with a background of working as an automobile engineer. To the best of my knowledge, any car engine should comfortably do 200000 to 250000 km with somewhat routine maintenance. I have seen Toyota cars being sold after having done 380000 km as well. So dont worry if you are not misusing the car and taxing the engine unnecessarily (no routine  maintenance and rough use of the engine). Your engine should also go the distance. Having said that , it varies from brand to brand. Dont expect a Hyundai or KIA engine to last as long as a Toyota or an AUDI engine does.

As for the electricals and other accessories which are attached to the engine but do not form a part of the engine-these have different life terms. These some times have to be changed depending on their use.

Edited by mlk5165
  • Like (+1) 3