•  
Advertise here

Wrangler heating while towing

Baraz

Noticed last two times, that my wrangler is kicking up heat gauge by 20-30% above normal while towing two quad-bike trailer. Any reason for this little overheating connection with towing or servicing the car?

Because you're dragging extra weight and an unaerodynamic mass behind it, the engine has to work harder therefore produces more heat. 

Has this happened before or have you just started towing the trailer?

• Like (+1) 1

I just started towing my friend trailer to taste the bike fun, and in both occasions my Jeep temp was running bit higher than usual. Otherwise it has never overheated at all on road and with bbq or camping drives even. 

Do you have any solution for this little overheating while dragging extra weight, as I stopped going with that friend now after two incidents.

• Like (+1) 1

One of the reasons I don't like jeeps and sold mine only after 3-4 months of owing it. Every time I took it to the dunes the gauge would go up exactly as described above and since there were a ton of jeepers around, they said this is totally normal and all their vehicles behaved in the same manner. I just couldn't get used to it and never really enjoyed it as one eye was on the dunes and one eye on the temp gauge. Hence as soon as I got a good offer I sold it without even thinking twice.

• Like (+1) 1

Just to elaborate on what desertdude jsut pointed out, if you ask any Jeep owner the reason for the heating issue, hardly anyone would have a solution, but a common phrase to make them feel better: "All Jeeps run hot".

Just a joke: If you are going for BBQ, no need to take the extra load of a BBQ grill and extras when you have a Jeep, just leave the food on the Jeep bonnet for 30 minutes and you will have a nicely cooked meal.

If its staying still after the rise, I wouldnt be bothered until it reaches 80% or 90% just before the last limit. I drove my Pajero in low gear once for few kms and temp rose and stay steady until I shift back to high gear.

• 2 years later...

I would look into changing the thermostat from the stock to one with lower temperature like a 180F thermostat this will open at lower temperatures than the stock thermostat. 

If that doesn't help then you need to consider a radiator upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1