•  
Advertise here

Hood louvers are accepted by RTA in Dubai?

Gaurav

My Pajero on some occasions heat up by 15-20% in off-road while self recovering or doing some extreme hill climb at 5-6k revs and then drop down pretty fast in few minutes.

I was thinking of installing hood louvers and someone advise me that I might face some issues with RTA in next car passing by cutting down the hood. Appreciate if anyone have done this mod can share their experience if car got passed in RTA testing in Dubai with the hood louvers installed or not.

http://hoodlouvers.com/shop/powder-coated-black-reg-flow-2/

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I personally don't think that will be an issue, as we see 100's of ricer and offroaders daily who have already done that. Only thing I can think is it should be done professionally and should be 100% safe installation as RTA majorly looks for safety concerns.

Better to buy and install the hood from a Pajero Turbo Diesel which will not cost you a lot and store your original hood with Barry if any passing issues. In my opinion it looks good and more chances of passing since this is originally installed by Mitsubishi. Gives a great look to the car and should solve your purpose.

mitsubishi__pajero_2_8_tdi_gls_3_porte__

Edited by Rahimdad

Thanks @Rahimdad for suggestion, but I need two and both facing backward to let hot air exit. Above pic seems more like an intake than exhaust. In my engine bay in current place manifold is sitting right under the hood, leaving no space for hot air to exit.

You can always try the local shabab method of putting in a few nut spacers in your hood latches ( Can't remember if your capsula already had that ? ) which will raise your hood from the rear. I had it done of my sheep if you remember. I dunno about cooling but it kept the engine bay damn clean :D

706036026_photobucket_42989_.jpg

I already tried that on my mechanic advise and yes it helped to a great extent that in Liwa it only popped up the gauge once in whole 113 kms offroad. However, it doesn't look very nice to my eyes and that's why I am thinking of hood louver option.

Btw my SWB patrol had hood louvers too, but RTA wasn't very strict in those good old days.

DSC_1768.jpg

DSC_7642.jpg

Agreed it does look shitty, although I don't hood lifts and louvres will fix your low speed heating issues as mentioned in the OP. You just don't have the speed for air flow to expunge the heat. Also just a though this extra heat could also be caused by transmission fluid heat specially if your tranny cooler is merged into you radiator, if that's the case try with a auxiliary atf cooler first. Because both scenarios described put extra load on the tranny.

In almost all my cars I had these louvers. It comes with hood louver from the previous owner and never had an issue in passing. I think what Danny mentioned above makes absolute sense that as far as job is neatly done which is safe your car and other road user then RTA has no problem. This failing story must be circulating in market when someone get the sub standard job done.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ethan said:

In almost all my cars I had these louvers. It comes with hood louver from the previous owner and never had an issue in passing. I think what Danny mentioned above makes absolute sense that as far as job is neatly done which is safe your car and other road user then RTA has no problem. This failing story must be circulating in market when someone get the sub standard job done.

+1

13 hours ago, desertdude said:

Agreed it does look shitty, although I don't hood lifts and louvres will fix your low speed heating issues as mentioned in the OP. You just don't have the speed for air flow to expunge the heat. Also just a though this extra heat could also be caused by transmission fluid heat specially if your tranny cooler is merged into you radiator, if that's the case try with a auxiliary atf cooler first. Because both scenarios described put extra load on the tranny.

Thanks @desertdude for tranny heads up and I think you might be right too, as in one of the instance while climbing fossil rock area from center (beaten up track), gauge started rising but I continue as I was done by 90% hill climb and when I kept continuing the climb, after reaching on top A/T  light came up too, which usually never popped in last 6 years.

Any ways too 100% check if A/T cooler need change or an upgrade?

Important Information

Terms of use