•  
Advertise here

How good Is the 4.0 Prado as an offroad 4x4?

Hi @Atif

I know I am not wild cat, but still let me answer your query.

Let me start by saying that the Toyota Prado 4.0 is a very capable off-roader, however things to be considered is the level of trips that you want to make. if it is just occasional off-roading in easy to medium areas the Prado is very capable without any modifications. However, if you feel that you want to go for more advanced of extreme drives in more challenging areas, the Prado 4.0 is still very capable but needs a little lift, slightly bigger tires and a skid plate to protect the bumpers as those bumpers are really easy to loose. i would also recommend to either know where your airbags fuses are to remove during the drives, or fit a switch which would deactivate the airbags as certain manoeuvres can trigger the airbag to go off. Both the SWB and LWB are capable vehicles, but you get better arrival and departure angles on the SWB.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Rahimdad, I did install a skid plate in the front but so far haven't been for any extreme dunning. I have to change my tyres soon so can I install slightly larger ones without lifting it? I suppose the fuel consumption on roads will increase wit this change of tyres? I also did not realize that the airbags can be an issue.

@Atif As explained earlier it all depend son the level of drive you are interested in, I would suggest a metal plate, bolt on application for the rear bumper also, as it is hollow and like Pajero can be bent by dragging sand in the back. Normally if you increase the tire size it causes rubbing issues as the factory fitted tires are the biggest size you can get without rubbing issues, always better to get a 2 inch lift, than you can enjoy bigger tires. Second thing about the increase in fuel consumption is only if you get heavier tires, if you are just changing the tires to a slightly bigger size the change in fuel consumption should be a minimum. Regarding airbags, the real danger is if you have side airbags which are programmed in such a way that if you are doing a 45 degree side slopping and if you perform a criss cross, that is slide to the other side of the dune doing a 45 degree slop in the opposite direction, than the car computer tells it there is a tilt of 90 degree which means the car has rolled over to its side, this deploys the airbags. If you have not done extreme off-roading than you have not been through this manoeuvre. However if your interest grows it is at least better to locate where the air bag fuse is and remove it for the advance drive.

For ridge cutting or criss crossing see below video at 50 seconds onward to understand better.

• Like (+1) 2