•  
Advertise here

Anyone has chevy trailblazer 06-09 model?

Recently my wife's trail blazer head light low beam conged off, showed to two good electrician and none of them could spot what is wrong. Bulbs are fine, fuses are fine but still power is not going to the holder.

On further diagnose found out that there is HDM solid state relay no:46 that could be culprit as it control Headlight Module. Went to Chevrolet dealer in Dubai - liberty automobile today to buy and they don't have that in stock as it's a special relay and it cost 365 Dhs on pre-order. 

So if anyone has similar trailblazer, I like to pass by and borrow that relay for testing and find out if that's the actual culprit or not?

Ours is 2009 model with I6 - 4.2 liter engine - GCC specs.

chevrolet trailblazer solid state HDM relay 46.jpg

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Usually what you can do is with a small sharp flat blade screw driver is pry of the plastic housing of the relay, inside you can just press the contacts by hands to complete the circuit and see of the headlights come on. Or you can takeout the relay, then take a small piece of wire of a decent gauge and find out which of the two pins need to by jumpered and then use your wire to bridge the gap, as in insert one end of the wire into where one of the pins go into the board and the other end into the other. But you need to know the which holes for lack of a better word need to be bridged to complete the circuit.
Another very rudimentary and not so reliable test is put your ear close and hand over the relay and switch on the lights, most relay give off audible click and you can also feel the contacts inside the relay.
Relay in very simple layman terms is a operable fuse. Like when you take out a fuse that circuit does not work and when you put it back it does. Only with a relay you can control when the fuse is in or not ( Although the relays function is not that really of a fuse )
Also if it is the relay get the part number, and look it up on ebay, you'd probably get it cheaper and faster than the dealer
For Example 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Relay-Switch-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-trailblazer-GM-OEM-15016745-/221733789715?fits=Year%3A2006|Model%3ATrailblazer&hash=item33a05d2013:g:unoAAOSwZVhWSOva&vxp=mtr
ALSO a cursory search tells me you should have a similar relay already in the underhood fuse box #45 for the cooling fans, you should be able to swap it for #46 hence no need for all this hoo haa anyways ! lol

P.S: Ignore most advise given. I forgot its a solid state so probably no moving parts in it. 

Solid state relay = no clicking noise

Relay 45 is not there in gcc models

Jumping not advisable as it may cook whole HDM unit.

EBay = 35 usd + 25 shipping + 2 week's 

Carnity hoo haa, still best option to debug :-)

How about driving to sharjah scrappies and get one for dirt cheap and before buying try if it solves your problem or not. One trip + 50 dhs (max) and your problem is over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 6:44 PM, adil said:

How about driving to sharjah scrappies and get one for dirt cheap and before buying try if it solves your problem or not. One trip + 50 dhs (max) and your problem is over.

Thanks @adil for great suggestion, I was in Sharjah scrap during this weekend with @Rahimdad and after lot of tries we found same HDM relay 15016745 from EATON for 20 dhs and it fixed the low beam instantly.

• Like (+1) 1

@Gaurav My heart told me you would get it there and my heart told me it was going to work. It was a bit of hard work, but we showed patience and it paid off. Thanks for the biryani and lunch after a lunch, I enjoyed my time with you hunting for the parts and it was educational.

Although we were not eyeing any parts for the Nissan but there are quite a few shops that deal with Nissan parts and you can get lucky finding anything you are looking for with a little patience.

I have marked the approximate spot where we found parts for all Chevys, close by there are many shops that store Nissan parts.

https://goo.gl/maps/r4t5shzYfJ62