•  
Advertise here

Car shutting off

I have a 2001 STS that has been in twice for the very same reason. I could be doing 60 miles an hour and the car will completely turn off - no power steering, no brakes etc .. or I could be idling at a light and it does the same thing. Sometimes it just quits with the power windows or dash lights. I heard some STS's were recalled because of this. I don't want to get rear-ended because the car shuts off. Can anyone advise me?

I had the same thing happen on my 1993 STS. The problem was a pinched wire under the drivers seat causing one of the big circuit breakers in the panel on the drivers side wheel well under the hood to keep resetting. Check to make sure all those wires are free and not pinched.

You need to have the crankshaft position sensor replaced. its the electronic device present in the internal combustion engine which monitors the rotational speed of the crankshaft. you might not have the same car but here is how you can do it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVTFFOwqNZM

walah! problem solved!

Since your STS has the road sensing suspension, you may also want to get your vehicle hooked up to a scan tool so it can read the trouble codes the computer is throwing out. It could be something as minute as a non-working sensor. Also, get your brakes and brake fluid checked.

• 1 month later...