•  
Advertise here

AC Grinding noise-FX50

Hi All, I am new to this form. I have FX50s 2009 Model. The problem is when i am at signal or at stop i can hear AC making a grinding noise and makes extra load on the engine. While driving i don't notice much. Any one had similar experience? Thanks.

It must be coming while driving too, but with road and engine noise you might not be hearing it. Slight extra AC load on engine due to low rev while idle is normal for all cars especially in summer months, as AC work harder and frequent but what grinding noise you get, can you attach an audio file here.

• Like (+1) 1

There could be leaking compressor gas and making some grinding noise, and AC cooling quality also deplete as treks as if A/C still working with same as before quality?

• Like (+1) 1

Any noise coming from the compressor is bad, but mechanical noises can sometimes be mimicked by a drive belt that is dry, sticky, or damaged. So, if the compressor is damaged and making a noise, it is likely that the system will not work as well as before.

It may be worth the trouble to pop around to Barry's garage to let him check out the belt, and/or tensioner pulley(s), especially if the A/C system is working as well as it did before the noise started.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, treks said:

Does the A/C still work?

Hi. Thanks. Yes, AC is working and cooling fine. Just that it makes a grinding noise and feels like car wants to move when i am at signal or on brakes. Feels like engine is having extra load to move.

• 1 year later...

Grinding noise  comes from ac compressor bearings or compressor tensioner pulley. try a simple test, when you are in your parking with the engine running. Turn off/on your ac, check if you can hear the grinding noise. Have your ac bearing and ac tensioner pulley checked. Or.have them replace both and belts.. if these parts goes, your comperssor goes as well.. small parts are cheaper than replacing the ac compressor.

• Like (+1) 1