I just bought myself a Viking rope with soft shackles. It's true that a Viking rope is a very essential tool for recovery, but in some cases you need a strap also. I will buy one before the next trip so that we are ready for anything.

A Viking rope would have done a lot of good on last drive unfortunately we didn't have one. Now we do.😎

The soft shackle is also very good tool to have to suit all recovery points as it very slim and strong at the same time. Also in case any recovery point fails like explained during the last training it will not cause any harm unlike the metal or steal shackles.

I got it from someone I know for much cheaper than market price. Anybody interested can pm me. This was the last set though, he will get new sets next month. If you want to save some cash it will be worth it.

20170521_230236.jpg

• Like 1

Hi @Rahimdad;

Thanks for sharing!!

I have two questions, what's the difference between the viking rope and a regular snatch strap?

And the second question is: where could i get one :-)

Thanks again

• Like 1

Good questions Ali,

First to answer your question of a Viking Rope versus a snatch strap:

The Tow Rope/Snatch Strap

A traditional snatch strap is a piece of recovery gear that’s made to help pull another vehicle, usually when the other vehicle is stuck in some manner, and needs to be moved or released from it’s resting place.

The stuck vehicle could be in a mud bog, water, loose sand, or snow and ice. In which case, you just want to attach a strap to both vehicles, your vehicle and the stuck vehicle, and pull it loose.

The thing about a traditional tow strap is you have to be careful, because there is very little, if any, “give” to the strap itself. Meaning, you want to take the slack out of the strap slow and carefully.

Move your vehicle slow, in low gear, with the 4WD engaged, and carefully pull the tow strap with no slack and then make your pull.

The last thing you want to do is mash down on the throttle chance ripping off a bumper or attachment point, or worse, bending a vehicle frame. It can also be dangerous. The jolt to your body isn’t that much fun either.

Tow straps have very little in the way of forgiveness. If the other vehicle is barely stuck, and just needs a ‘roll out’ to get unstuck, then a common Tow Strap can do it with no problem.

Recovery Viking Rope (AKA “Snatch Straps/or Ropes”)

Recovery Ropes (sometimes referred to as “Kinetic” ropes) are a whole different matter. They have more “elasticity” to them. Meaning, they can stretch, which is an important factor, and then snap back to their original length. If you need to yank a Jeep out of some malicious mud or like the stuck we had last week that just won’t let it go, then a “Snatch Strap” is what you want to use.

With a Snatch Rope, you can get rowdy and do some serious yanking, and the strap will stretch, absorbing the “shock” from the pull (analogy? Like a rubber band). It’s easier on your Jeep’s attachment points (bumper, tow hook, frame, etc.), not to mention your back and neck. It’s also safer.

Hope this explains the difference.

I will PM you from where you can get the same.

Thank you for the explanation!!

So if I get it right: no difference between snatch strap and Viking rope, both have the elasticity (kinetic)

Right?

• Like 1

You got that wrong @categorik

As explained if the vehicle is stuck in a way where a gentle tug would do than you can use a snatch strap, nothing heavy duty as a strong pull would have adverse effects on you and your vehicle, they do not have elasticity. Viking/ Kinetic ropes on the other hand have elasticity and can be used for some tough pulls as they stretch due to their elasticity and recover back to their original size which helps unstuck vehicles which are really bogged down.

• Like 1

Thanks to @categorik and @Wajahat I have found out some very important information:

The length of the rope is 9 meters.

The MBS (minimum breaking strength) is 14 tonnes.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

You got that wrong @categorik

As explained if the vehicle is stuck in a way where a gentle tug would do than you can use a snatch strap, nothing heavy duty as a strong pull would have adverse effects on you and your vehicle, they do not have elasticity. Viking/ Kinetic ropes on the other hand have elasticity and can be used for some tough pulls as they stretch due to their elasticity and recover back to their original size which helps unstuck vehicles which are really bogged down.

But a snatch strap has a 20% elasticity, it is different from towing rope, that is why I am a bit confused.

• Like 1

@categorik You are right in saying that there is 20% elasticity in a snatch strap, however you need to approach those more cautiously and cannot give it a hard tug. with a viking you can be a little bit rough and it will not damage you and your vehicle.

It would be easier to explain in a practical situation out in the desert. We had snatch straps and broke 3 of them for 1 nasty stuck vehicle, but thank God no damage to the vehicles, thanks to @Gaurav bhai for acquiring safety cords which saved us as the straps broke. A Viking in that particular situation would have been the ideal choice.

Just a little add on, that snatch straps are more stronger due to their ratings are based on lifting tons unlike pulling capacity. I have got one 8 years ago and dragged my broken Land Cruiser uphill with two tow ropes recovery with two cars simultaneously. One side three tow ropes broke and on one side my strap stayed strong during more than 25-30 pulls uphill.

Viking / Kinetic rope has their own importance to absorb the shock due to their elasticity but straps are more stronger overall. Reason Rahim bhai your strap broke last friday was the knot and not the strap quality, as TJM straps are really nice.

• Like 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.