•  
Advertise here

Under body rust protection

Gaurav

What are the options available for car under body rust protection for critical components and chassis frame?

I just spotted some very minor rust formation in few areas under my Pajero today, so looking for some good quality solution to protect.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Waxoyl is a good rust preventative but I'm not sure how it would cope in the gulf climate. It stays semi liquid and could easily be rubbed off driving in sand which means it would need regular maintenance. It is however very good at coating the insides of the chassis and gets into all the nooks and crannies.

For off-road applications, Id recommend looking at 3M Body Schutz. It forms a thick rubberized coating similar to what you find factory coated on the bottom of modern cars. It is extremely tough and hard wearing, one time application that will last the life of the car. But as with the waxoyl, you will need special application equipment. 

One of the downsides of using these applications is that it can make working on the underside of a car more difficult as it tends to get into the threads of bolts and jam things up so if you need to carry out any work on the downside, it's probably better to make sure everything is completed first. 

• Like (+1) 1

I heard from a friend that Ziebart offers good rust proofing product and also offer annual maintenance package. Galadari is their main dealer her, hope it helps.

• Like (+1) 1

Correct Ziebart next to the old Galdari Showroon next to the airport, they have been there for ages now. I remember my dad got his Caprice Classic rustproofed from there way back in 1986!

• 1 year later...

Dear Gaurav

I am having the similar rusting issue in my Pajero 2015, this is bit more in the lower body.

How did you manage it at your end ?

Which service center did you find in uae and with what price ?

Please reply.

I didn't do anything as when I got the car steam wash all the spots were gone and factory rustproofing was in good condition. I assume there was some sand+oil discoloration spot made me think it's rust. 

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

My 2008 Pajero has far more rust under the body than my 1999 one. I suspect the owner of the 2008 one lived much closer to the sea, as this makes a big difference. 

Have a look at these guys, they seem to be doing rustproofing and detailing. I’m not affiliated to them but there was a sticker from them on my rear window when I bought my ‘99 Pajero so I assume previous owner went there. 

http://saraautocare.com/

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I was thinking about getting some hammerite paint and applying over the most affected areas. First the surface needs to be cleaned with wire brush, but after that you can either spray paint it or apply with soft brush. If you have a friend with a lifting bridge it would take you maybe a half day to do it yourselves and wouldn’t cost too much. Getting it done would cost around 1200 if I remember correctly.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Ok thanks for all support. Definitely, Its not easier for me to do myself, I called one and shocked to listen that it will cost around 1500 AED.

Let me check in other areas !

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 8 months later...

Important Information

Terms of use