•  
Advertise here

My 2012 Hyundai Tucson 2.4L 4WD started making knocking (ticktick) noise from the inside part of engine. After check up came to know that the Crankshaft is damaged along with the bearing and the Rod. Should i repair the engine which will cost me (2100 aed for the parts + 1100 labour cost) or should i replace with a used engine which will cost approx 5000 aed.??

P.s. If i repair the engine, will any problem occur again in near future as the mechanic told better to put a new engine instead of fixing new parts.??

VID-20170629-WA0006.mp4

Definitely fixing another engine from yard is a better idea than fixing this one because:

• No mechanic workmanship can match the Factory sealed engine.
  • Secondly the labour cost quoted to you for rebuilding is very low (1100 aed) so assuming you are in wrong hands.
  • Thirdly, fixing broken engine is a trap that can start from 2k and end at 10k once you open the can of worms.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

The mechanic told me he has a guy who will sell me 2012 used Tucson engine (kilometers done not known) for 4k aed with 10 days replacement warranty and he will charge me 500aed for fixing it. 

Now my only concern is whether or not should i change the engine or not..

These are the things which i need to replace and fix back if i repair my engine.20170701_182022.thumb.jpg.c50baa4449c48d34a5e789bd3da4cd73.jpg

As a mechanic, a proper rebuild is always better than a replacement engine, and I do stress the word PROPER, not a rebuild full of sand done at the side of the road. When you rebuild an engine, you know what you have and what you're dealing with. When you buy a second hand engine, you're buying someone else's problems and the same potential problem further down the line. You don't know who had the engine before you or how they drove it. There's no reason a mechanic cannot build an engine to factory standard, in fact many mechanics build an engine better than it was when it left the factory. Look at companies like Connaught engines or cosworth for example. Manufacturers engines rebuilt to a higher standard than when they left the factory. 

@Barry what you are saying is worth more than 10k - 15k AED in labor cost only for PROPER engine rebuild and based on my experience rebuilding in above scenario is a trap as you don't what all other piston, rings, valves are damage unless someone do the endoscopic therapy like we did, lol.

I been in similar situation once and estimate for 2500 AED for parts shot up to 6500 AED once engine was open and let alone the rebuild cost of 2500 AED from a semi-decent mechanic. And after 9000 AED still that engine busted in first push in offroad application as no spare part and mechanic job can replace what has been provided by the factory unless you do some serious performance mods.

Best way is to source a yard engine is from half cut accidental car that still has odometer intact so that you can verify whether it's 50,000 kms done or 500,000 kms done. Search in Sharjah Industrial area behind troy university or behind macro emirates, plenty of Afghani breakers sell the intact engine. Last bet is to scout in Sajja (bit more tedious, though).

@AnishCrew don't fall for blind bet from mechanic as he will simply multiply his engine plonking charges by saying how do I know what's inside once engine fails. Better to take some time now and search proper used engine from scrapyard by yourself. It's a tedious job, but one day of scouting can save lot many days time and money.

Assuming the crankshaft is the problem (I don't know, I didn't diagnose it) and the top end is known to be good, surely it's better just to replace the faulty part rather than risk an unknown quantity of a second hand engine when the current engine is known to be ok apart from a faulty crank. The crankshaft is incredibly easy to change, you don't even need to remove the cylinder head and disturb the gasket. It can also be done with the engine in the car if the gearbox is removed. It is important to ensure that all bearing caps are properly torqued to manufacturer specification and bearing clearances checked with plastigauge. I recently had a case where a customer didn't want to repair a simple engine fault and instead wanted a replacement engine. By the time I had fitted the third engine it would have been cheaper and less time consuming to address the original problem and the old engine would have been running as good as new.

My other concern would be why did the crankshaft fail? Fitting a new one without addressing the cause of failure could lead to the new one failing. Was it a faulty oil pump, blocked gallery or sprayers full of sludge, lack of servicing or just the good old wrong grade of oil, not this 3k, 5k Dubai bs. I assume the mechanic will have checked oil pressures, cleanliness of galleries etc before ordering or fitting any parts?

I agree with @Barry. If you want to take a chance on a used engine, that is your choice, but to say that NO mechanic can ever rebuild an engine to factory standards is BS in its purest form.

Moreover, mechanics who advise people to fit a used engine instead of repairing the damaged one are the ones that should not be trusted with inflating a tyre, much less removing and fitting engines- even if that engine is used, simply because that type of mechanic is not able to asses either the damage on the existing engine, or the condition of the used engine.   

Barry and Treks, you both are ONLY looking from mechanic point of view and taking things really personal by saying no mechanic can rebuild engine at factory specs. Read my post again and off course high class ultra professional mechanic can rebuild any engine but what's a point in spending double the car value unless it's a rally bred car or high performance off-road car.

My advise is from end user perspective who spend money from his own pocket and based on my own experience it's better to get accidental engine as they are hardly driven.

Just FYI, Habtoor quoted me 18,000 AED for engine rebuild labor only without spare parts cost.

I like what barry said, in case you rebuild then diagnose first the cause of failure - highly recommend it.

Just to add, no offense is being taken on my part, I'm just sharing my personal opinion. 

Any mechanic should be able to rebuild an engine to dealer spec and where I'm from, that's how it is. It's so simple to measure things like clearances, fastener torque etc and follow the spec sheet or workshop manual procedures, use or don't use the correct sealants in the correct places etc.

The reality in UAE is that everyone calls themselves a mechanic but in reality the majority have less wit than a professional apprentice in their first year. They're not mechanics, they just screw things apart without thinking and put them back together covered in silicon and shellac with the most basic understanding of how it should work. These people give us professionals a bad name and drive our salaries down to the floor in competition. They will open an engine with zero diagnostics other than a gut feeling and hope it goes back together without any problems. I find it sad that people will choose a mechanic on price rather than quality of workmanship. In my first job in UAE, I remember the workshop foreman stripping down a VW Golf engine then asking me what was wrong with it after it was stripped and I had no way to do any diagnostic work. Zero knowledge or wit but somehow still made it to foreman. The same foreman shouted at me for cleaning the protective coating off a new brake disc before fitting it. I fitted the rest of the discs without cleaning them and the car came back a few days later with the brake linings cooked. The same guy had a car a leaking ABS pump and covered the leak with epoxy. The car came back a few days later with no brakes. Still, this garage got a lot of work because they were prepared cut corners and do jobs like head gaskets for under 500dhs. No quality of work whatsoever, no measuring of flatness, just send the head for a skim, cover it in shellac and bolt it down with an airgun and hope for the best. This is the sort of thing that is going on in UAE, cable tie and duct tape engineering and customers have no idea other than they are paying a low price for repairs. There is zero theory with these guys, most of them have never even read a book. I have read many books and articles on vehicle repair and I know what I'm doing. All good mechanics are similar. Sometimes I feel sick when I think of all the unpaid time I've spent educating myself on how to be a good mechanic/technician/electrician and end up having to do a job for a quarter of what it's worth just because someone with far less skills than me is being allowed to dictate the market price. 

I might rant more later when I'm not so busy. 

• Like (+1) 3

well well well i see some nice sand thorwing here...and i too will go for rebuild as i will surely know whats in it rather then cross my fingers while that initial starting phase waiting to see if this engine also has beaten rods or bearings maybe somtimes even the gaskit is also gone blowing water out of radiator...i have seen some change 6 engines of the same car as the engines the customer was bringing was plain shit go on boy i am making money while you are hauling those engines...:-D

• Like (+1) 1