•  
Advertise here

Hitting RPM meter red line is bad?

taqir

Due to some unavoidable situation I have to hit car rev's so much that it touched the red line and roar very loud. Although I escape of the big accident, and car seem to be driven good as well, but just wondering if this hitting the red line on rev meter can/may cause any issue.......?

Hitting the red line once for a second or two won't do damage, but do not make it a habit, especially on engines that never (or very seldom) run at revs that approach the red line. The red line is there for a reason, and if you go there or beyond it often, or for prolonged periods, you can damage bearings, but more likely rings and pistons because the high reciprocal speeds can squeeze the ring grooves closed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks treks, for quick reply im feeling better now after understanding the background of it. Is there anything I need to do now or just forget about it and just don't do it again....?

3 hours ago, taqir said:

Thanks treks, for quick reply im feeling better now after understanding the background of it. Is there anything I need to do now or just forget about it and just don't do it again....?

forget about it. Do it only on such similar situations when its an emergency... some of the car's ecu cuts fuel when its at redline for the safety and some cars really dont even go past the red line.. 

6 hours ago, taqir said:

If the car runs the same as before, there is nothing to worry about. As I said, hitting the red line once for a second or two is unlikely to cause issues.

No issues hitting the limiter, sitting on the limiter is what causes problems. In most ordinary cars, it's pointless to go all the way to the redline anyway because maximum power is usually made below it. The manufacturer sets the limit at a safe level with more to spare. In many tuned engines, the rev limit is raised by remapping and is still safe. The manufacturer just plays on the safe side. 

Yeah pretty much what everybody else said, people are not used to revving their motors beyond 3-4k.If that.

This becomes very evident when newbies hit the desert for the very first time and are scared to mash the pedal to the floor  and upshift too early, losing momentum and getting stuck