•  
Advertise here

Is cruise control bad for fuel mileage?

taqir

I used to think cruise control is good but recently I read somewhere in comments section that crusie control is bad for fuel mileage. Is it true? Please advise. Thanks all guys.

cruise control usually used in high way in long driving with fixed throttle and fuel/air ratio so the engine management system shall optimize the consumption without any disturbance as long as we keep that condition even if we drive under the same condition (if there is no cruise control installed) with fixed throttle we can save a huge amount of fuel me my self i have noticed now as the roads for somehow clear of traffic jam at that time of the year so that really i save one extra trip than before 2 months ago in the same road the conclusion really high way driving saving fuel than city or low speed limit roads and the cruise control guarantees that.

• Like (+1) 1

usually people just go full throttle and hard break in stop and go situation which is a fuel guzzling thing as long as you flying in those high gears you get more bang for you drop of fuel and not giving those not needed accelerations  you will be happy and in this case you get more benefits from manual trannys as they are more fuel efficient if you can try to pull off a trick of being at the normal speed in the highest possible gear like in the speed of 40 or 50 at 5th gear that too save way more fuel way more then what the manufacturer has specified just be careful if not done right you will knock your engine over :-D 

Edited by shadow79
More information

Cruise is good for empty and straight road and help save fuel by constant accelaration to deliver constant sped. when road goes up and down or sideways then cruise is bad as it will keep on pushing gas higher to maintain that deseired fix speed in that case better to hold constant acceleration by foot and let speed go up and down to get best fuel mileag

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks all, for so much clarification and help, so I can use the cruise on highways in UAE which is almost straight as it really help in not making me tired with foot locked in one place.

Cruise control helps to keep your vehicle driving in one speed with accelerating except if you driving up slope and down slope then that will affect the fuel consumption for e.g. when you go up slope or in a inclined position rpm will rise automatically and vehicle will use addition throttle to keep the vehicle in same speed , where if you driving in straight roads you will notice vehicle rpm remains constant in cruise control and fuel consumption will be good too.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use