•  
Advertise here

Dodge Durango offroad capabilities

i think Dodge Durango till year 2009 have pretty much standard off-road capabilities , its the models from 2010 onwards that have become more CUV type with unibody architecture.

So a 2001 Dodge should be OK i guess. 

Comments any1 ?  

• Like (+1) 1

@manums, thank you for asking a very valid question.

The Dodge Durrango seems to be an excellent choice for off-roading and the most tempting bit is its got a V8 5.7 hemi which produces over 323 hp and over 500nm of torque. Moreover a price tag of under 10K for anything over 10 years of age adds to the temptation. As far as capability goes, it is quite capable as an off-roader with a little lift and skid/bash plate to protect the radiator and some unprotected hoses which might take hit. However the cheap resale value of these vehicles indicate that maintaining it is never going to be easy or cheap. Finding parts for the Durrango can be tiresome process and when you find them the cost is always going to be higher, because the seller nows you are not going to get them easily. I never heard of a V8 5.7 hemi engine having any issues, but the transmission is known to have a few problems and if anything goes it can be quite an expensive affair.

I would recommend to stay away from the Dodge Durrango and Ford Explorer, however I have had quite a good feedback and experience with the Ford Expedition and the Chevrolet Tahoe, but similar models and condition you will get for maybe 25K as they are tough, have fewer issues, easier to find parts and cheaper to maintain.

A rule of thumb is person who make a small investment first up will cry his eyes out for life, compared to one who will cry making the first payment, but will be happy for life.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

@manums, thank you for asking a very valid question.

The Dodge Durrango seems to be an excellent choice for off-roading and the most tempting bit is its got a V8 5.7 hemi which produces over 323 hp and over 500nm of torque. Moreover a price tag of under 10K for anything over 10 years of age adds to the temptation. As far as capability goes, it is quite capable as an off-roader with a little lift and skid/bash plate to protect the radiator and some unprotected hoses which might take hit. However the cheap resale value of these vehicles indicate that maintaining it is never going to be easy or cheap. Finding parts for the Durrango can be tiresome process and when you find them the cost is always going to be higher, because the seller nows you are not going to get them easily. I never heard of a V8 5.7 hemi engine having any issues, but the transmission is known to have a few problems and if anything goes it can be quite an expensive affair.

I would recommend to stay away from the Dodge Durrango and Ford Explorer, however I have had quite a good feedback and experience with the Ford Expedition and the Chevrolet Tahoe, but similar models and condition you will get for maybe 25K as they are tough, have fewer issues, easier to find parts and cheaper to maintain.

A rule of thumb is person who make a small investment first up will cry his eyes out for life, compared to one who will cry making the first payment, but will be happy for life.

Thank you @Rahimdad bhai for such a detailed response. taking the vehicle to offroad means we have to be prepared for the maintenance. So it would always be better to go for the machines which are cheaper to maintain. The price tag was quite catchy as well as the looks, thanks to Gaurav bhai for the kind suggestion. 

• Like (+1) 1

My Dutch neighbour im Disco Gardens had a 200-ish Durango. It went like the clappers and he pretty much used it as a sports car on the road. But he would often cry about tranny issues, then he finally replaced it with a Grand Cherokee SRT

the durango is good for 4 to 6k price but its the parts that let it sit in the workshop for days to sometimes weeks and yes the parts are sure to be expensive as they are pretty rear and most scrap guys dont import it as its a sitter..if you have a good relative there in us and he frequents to you then you should be ok

• Thanks (+1) 1