•  
Advertise here

Downsize wheels

balajitr

My Edge Sport 2016 came with 265/40R21 tyres. While it does look nice, I would prefer not to feel every imperfection on the road. I don't make sharp turns at high speeds and so I don't need the better handling capability of the huge wheels. I chose the sport model over the titanium one for the EB engine and its straight line pickup.
I had a Murano earlier and its 235/65R18 tyres were so much more comfortable.

This URL tells me that the below tyres (and appropriate rims) are also compatible with this model.

235/60R18
245/60R18
245/55R19
245/50R20

The owner's manual confirms that 235/60R18 is indeed the 'winter' tyre size.

My 2 questions:
1. Has anyone downsized their tyres and found that the ride comfort is better?
2. Recommendations for good wheel and tyre shops as I can't find any this combination on any of the online sites?

Thanks to all in advance.

You are right. 21s are pretty bone jarring on anything less than a very smooth surface. You can go down to 245/60 18 without any issues because your tyre diameter will largely remain unaffected and your ride will be a lot more smoother too.

Until that time check if you are not over inflated too. And also this heat will increase your tyre pressure by quite a bit, making the tyre even stiffer.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

Until that time check if you are not over inflated too. And also this heat will increase your tyre pressure by quite a bit, making the tyre even stiffer.

Yes, I wondered about that; the difference is 3PSI after just 30 minutes of driving. I often adjust the pressure so that the cold tyre pressure is 2 PSI below the recommended one.