•  
Advertise here

What happens on switching to off road gear on road?

@desertdude @Rahimdad @Gaurav

Hello again,

I browsed around google with no success. The question! what happens on switching to off road gear on road?

Let's take the lc100 series as an example, there are 3 off road gears, one for standard road driving, one low and one high. I know the low one shouldn't be used on road because it provides low gear ratio and excessive fuel consumption. What happens on high compared to standard road driving. What if someone started using the high gear for everyday road driving?

If you want me to be more specific let me know!

Thanks!!

• Like (+1) 1

Specifically for the LC100 the early generation manuals came with 

H2 : Regular everyday driving with power only going to the rear wheels

H4 : 4wd mode the front and rear diffs are locked to each other, think of it as only one drive shaft running from the front to the back, if the front turns the rear also has to turn, since most didn't come in the fulltime 4wd version, they lacked a center diff. You shouldn't be driving on tarmac or paved surfaces with this engaged as front wheels speed will differ with the rear wheel, specially during turns you will put undue stress on the drive train, tyres will squeel at low speed turns and steering will be very heavy. And evenutally end up snapping an axel shaft or crunching the diff with prolonged use.

L4 : Same as above but in low ratio.

Automatic LCs and later on H2 was removed from the lever and a button on the dash was given, which would electronically engage 4wd once pressed. I know this because I had one and have tried it, you could put in Low Range without pressing the 4wd button and you would have low range Rwd vehicle! :D

Many cars and even some LCs come with a center diff some lockable and some not, which allows it to be a fulltime 4wd and you can drive on roads at any speed, for example Land Rovers ( Defenders, Discoverys, Range Rovers etc etc ) Only come in fulltime 4wd, you cannot switch to 2wd mode. 

• Like (+1) 2

Apart from above things desertdude mentioned, you will experience heavier ride and high fuel consumption if you engage full time 4x4 in your LC, while on road. However, if you experience on road surface that has turn slippery due to an accident or nature's impact or broken road where all 4 tires grip will make noticeable difference, then you can use it for a short while.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated!!

however i did not check which i did now, that the car has a gear labeled as N(off road one). Any I dea what that does?

@desertdude @Gaurav

Edited by umarcrespo333

It puts your entire transmission in neutral, You could be in D,P or 1.2.3.4.5 but if that one is in N the car wont move and that is teh transmission should be in when wheels on the ground  towing an auto car 

• Like (+1) 1