•  
Advertise here

AC compressor inquiry

Hello everyone,

I am looking for help with regards to getting an AC compressor for my 2008 VW Passat 2.0 fsi. Initially the mechanic came to the conclusion that the expansion valve within the AC unit is damaged. I was told that the entire unit requires replacing and i would like to know if anyone knows a good garage for it and how much it will cost to get it.

Thank you

Well it's really good to get second opinion to make sure the problem is legit and corrective measure is really needed.

@Barry @shadow79 @treks will be happy to contribute their expertise accordingly.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

As @desertdude says, the best thing is to do is to get an expert second opinion, because just slapping on  A/C parts is never a good idea, and especially if the original mechanic was planning on slapping on a used compressor or other used parts. 

Well S79 its clear the mechanic has no clue what hes doing. Hes just throwing parts at it at the expense of the owner hoping something will fix the issue ( eventually it will when you throw enough parts at it until the guy virtually has an entire new cooling system and a big hole in his wallet ) Hence go to someone who know their stuff, like Ampex. Like just two days ago I heard a very known reputable garage told this guy to renew his entire cooling system for 5000 plus labour then he went to ampex and got himself sorted for 450dhs. 

I myself have gone to ampex and they were very professional and very reasonable. Unfortunately they closed their deira branch and now operate only out of DIP

well a/c work is not like any other work in automotive system its totally different

there are a few pointers which if seen is better to replace the whole system as those multi flow condensers and evaps can not be cleaned with 100 % warranty and in a/c system you cant just throw parts until its up and running if any thing goes wrong here even if a mg of dirt there in the system the you will have to start again from beginning putting all parts new again and that my friend is gonna make hole two time in that pocket...

yes if its a matter of leak or condenser fan weak and compressor bearing making sound then its better to sort the leak and other issues first...

if its not fully broke then let it run till the time comes...

the only thing which can be reused again are those low side and high side pipes which also has to be cleaned rigorously and chemical vapor freed 

Edited by shadow79
more info

In all the time Ive been in and around cars. Ive never seen or have had to change the entire cooling system of a car, to me thats simply unheard of. 

Even on 15 yr old US imported wrecks or insurance written off cars Ive rebuilt over the years. 

• Like (+1) 1