•  
Advertise here

Fabricating bodywork with foam.

Hello, 

I took a trip to bidayer this week and tore off the lip on the front of my cruiser. I never liked the shape of that front lip and wanted to get something different for it. Now I am thinking of making a custom lip using hardening foam. I have seen many videos and wanted to do a diy on my own car. What are the views of the car pros?

You can build it up with expanding foam then shave it off to the shape you want then cover it with sheets of fiberglass. It's easy but time consuming. If you make a mess you can pick the foam off and start again. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

You can build it up with expanding foam then shave it off to the shape you want then cover it with sheets of fiberglass. It's easy but time consuming. If you make a mess you can pick the foam off and start again. 

Yeah right expanding foam, couldn't get the name that time. Although I can't understand the fiberglass part. how do I work with that?

Watch some videos on YouTube. It's not so difficult but once you mix the resin you only have 10-15 minutes to work with it until it turns to jelly and starts to set. Less if it's hot. Once it starts to go like jelly you have to throw it. If you can work somewhere with ac it's better. You can buy the complete fiberglass kits cheap in most hardware shops. The fiberglass is like a cloth made of glass fibers. You cut it to shape, then sort of paint the resin into it with a brush. I'm working on a project with foam and filler at the today.  Not difficult but you need patience and you may need to mix many small batches depending on temperature. If you can afford it, you can use carbon fiber but I'd recommend practicing with fiberglass first. Carbon fiber is too expensive to mess up. 

image.jpg

• Like (+1) 2